Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away!

Soldato
Last weeks episode showed that young girl speaking to the bailiffs from her top window and simply ignored them when they asked her to come down and open the door, she then sneaked outside into her own car and blocked them from removing the car in the front drive which they clamped and she started to film them, very smart and on the ball.

Its a doggy dog world where its always the other persons fault< this will go on my gravestone.

To be fair he wasn't a real debtor in the usual sense, he had agreed to be a rent guarantor for someone who defaulted and obviously betrayed his trust.

I'd be livid too.

But at the end of the day she had no obligation to open the door to the bailiffs. They only wanted her to open it so they could get their foot in.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Very true its still a reoccurring theme on just about every episode, its never their fault and its always the other person to blame, like I say a doggy dog world :)

Soldato
she then sneaked outside into her own car and blocked them from removing the car in the front drive which they clamped and she started to film them, very smart and on the ball.

Not opening the door may not have allowed the HCEO's access to the house, but they were more interested in the car which likely covered more than the debt. Also she was acting like a little child having a tantrum parking her car in the road as if to block them off. As the HCEO's said, if the tow truck turned up and she refused to move, they could have her arrested for obstruction. Absolutely nothing she could have done there.

To be fair he wasn't a real debtor in the usual sense, he had agreed to be a rent guarantor for someone who defaulted and obviously betrayed his trust.

I'd be livid too.

But at the end of the day she had no obligation to open the door to the bailiffs. They only wanted her to open it so they could get their foot in.

In the legal sense, he was just as much a debtor as the tenant was.

Don't get me wrong i do feel sorry for the guy, he was only helping a friend out. I can only suggest he chooses his friends more wisely.

Caporegime
This is why I honestly believe guarantor debts should be illegal.

If you haven't got decent enough credit to get a loan, you don't get it. Simple. The law should not allow you to drag other people into your financial strife.

Also, most people are willing guarantors, but how many people are not really willing, but are persuaded or possibly coerced into doing it. The poor buggers then ruin their own credit rating.

Ban it now I say.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

It's dog eat dog

I could be wrong about doggy dog world :D

But I think it came from snoop dogs album

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/148120/where-did-doggy-dog-world-come-from

this pops up on googles first response

snoop doggy dogg - doggy dogg world - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGdhvtklc8

Lyrics: It's a crazy mixed up world, it's a Doggy Dogg World / It's a Doggy Dogg World, it's a Doggy Dogg World / The Dogg's World…

Maybe its similar or same thing :p

R3X

R3X

Soldato

If you haven't got decent enough credit to get a loan, you don't get it. Simple. The law should not allow you to drag other people into your financial strife.

Also, most people are willing guarantors, but how many people are not really willing, but are persuaded or possibly coerced into doing it. The poor buggers then ruin their own credit rating.

Ban it now I say.

In this world its it's Not What You Know. It's Who You Know :D

But I agree with what you said, its a very difficult situation, id wager half the time its a family member or very close friend and the only way to get rid of the consistent asking was just to sign that piece of paper.

Soldato

Ban it now I say.

Hmm i'm swaying more to the side that it has to exist.

It gives a landlord peace of mind that if the tenant doesn't pay he can claim his costs back from the guarantor.

It also gives low income earners a chance to rent a property - as i think your salary has to be so many multiples of the monthly rent to forgo a guarantor.

Also at the end of the day, if everyone paid their rent on time, then no-one would ever need a guarantor. Unfortunately with so many people falling into arrears that's unlikely to ever be the case. The other option is landlords asking for something ridiculous like a 6 months deposit, which again, low-income earners would struggle to rake a deposit of that sort of size together.

Also, it is a legally binding contract laid out in black and white, if the guarantor can't be bothered to read what they are legally liable for, then more fool them. You wouldn't sign up to any contract without understanding what it is you're signing for.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A thread about a TV shows.... now a debate about the likeness of a HEO and a Police officer. Amazing.

Caught a few episodes of this the other day. One chap was sub-letting to 5 people but not paying the landlord his own rent, so the HEOs turned up to evict him. He basically admitted he had another property where he was running a similar setup to the tune of £2500 a month profit. The irony is, he believed the £14,000 he owed the landlord was compensation due to poor up-keep. Total delusional :confused:

Man of Honour
A thread about a TV shows.... now a debate about the likeness of a HEO and a Police officer. Amazing.

Caught a few episodes of this the other day. One chap was sub-letting to 5 people but not paying the landlord his own rent, so the HEOs turned up to evict him. He basically admitted he had another property where he was running a similar setup to the tune of £2500 a month profit. The irony is, he believed the £14,000 he owed the landlord was compensation due to poor up-keep. Total delusional :confused:

More like, the irony is if he has just paid his rent, which he could clearly afford due to the illegal subletting, then he would have gotten away with it for years to come. So he shot himself in the foot well and truly.

Could have kept his little earner going nicely.

Soldato
More like, the irony is if he has just paid his rent, which he could clearly afford due to the illegal subletting, then he would have gotten away with it for years to come. So he shot himself in the foot well and truly.

Could have kept his little earner going nicely.

He got too greedy, making £2.5K tax free out of one property per month wasn't enough.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

He got too greedy, making £2.5K tax free out of one property per month wasn't enough.

Yup, agree with MooMoo444 too... he was on a tidy earner had he kept up payments although it made me question how the landlord hadn't noticed 5 extra tenants or thought to chase him when he owed £1400 rent, rather than the £14,000 he eventually racked up.

Caporegime

Ban it now I say.

Totally disagree, why should the government stop me from supporting someone in my family to get a car or house?

The last thing we need is the government taking away our freedom to support others...

Soldato
Totally disagree, why should the government stop me from supporting someone in my family to get a car or house?

The last thing we need is the government taking away our freedom to support others...

The problem isn't with people like you know who are happy to help and know what they're getting into, it's with e.g. people who harrass & manipulate their elderly parents into signing something when they don't fully understand it, or agree through guilt

Caporegime
The problem isn't with people like you know who are happy to help and know what they're getting into, it's with e.g. people who harrass & manipulate their elderly parents into signing something when they don't fully understand it, or agree through guilt

The intention is all well and good, but I cannot agree with it, the road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say, the results that arise from restricting how someone can spend their money are never favorable in the end.

If parents could not act as guarantors for rent and cars etc for their children it would be terrible.

Soldato
The intention is all well and good, but I cannot agree with it, the road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say, the results that arise from restricting how someone can spend their money are never favorable in the end.

If parents could not act as guarantors for rent and cars etc for their children it would be terrible.

Oh I agree completely, just pointing out how it's not necessarily as simple as saying "well people should know/be careful what they sign"

Back
Top Bottom