Car terminology that makes you cringe

Soldato
So I'm sat in the SEAT dealer while they sort out whatever is making my car rattle like a bag of spanners and I spotted that the new Leon has a "distinctive coast-to-coast rear light" :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are plenty of equally awful terms out there, what have you got? :D

Soldato
OP
With you on that one. Especially when marketed as being "better" because it doesnt need plugging in.

Toyota will need an abrupt change in their marketing strategy sometime soon....:p
I don't mind that term myself. I mean, the hybrid system does charge itself as it needs no outside intervention (ie plugging in) to do it. I don't think Toyota/Lexus intend to BBB their way into people thinking the energy just magics itself into the battery pack.

Plenty of people worry about not having anywhere to charge a car up so one that has advantages of a hybrid plus doesn't need a charger is an advantage to a lot of people.

Lots of people mentioning 'delete'. One from a few years back that used to wind me up but has thankfully disappeared was the *anything*ectomy phrase to describe removing something. "I've done a mufflerectomy" which translated "I've just fitted a straight through exhaust" or one from the MX5 world "I did a foamectomy on my drivers seat" which meant you chopped a lump of foam out to help fit your oversized frame into a small car :p

Soldato
OP
Thought of a couple more that seem to bug me.

Infotainment - the word just winds me up for some reason especially when it has to be quoted with the screen size in inches.

Turbo - Obviously only applicable to the Taycan. Turbo short for Turbocharger... which an EV doesn't have :mad:

Soldato
OP
To be honest the addition of a "Turbo" badge is, these days, rather irrelevant even for those cars with turbocharged engines (99% of the Internal Combustion Engine new-car market?). Back in the 80s where a turbo was rare or a novelty, sure, but when it's synonymous with "engine", kinda pointless.

Zafira TURBO, rofl.
True, I guess it should be filed in the same category as 16v badges from the 1990s!

Back
Top Bottom