Car Washing and Double Yellow Lines

Soldato
So we've recently moved house and now no longer have a drive that I can wash my car on adequatly. I still have a garage to do all the post wash stuff but my actual house has double yellow lines outside. The question is am I going to get any issues by washing my car on the street. It's probably only going to be 30 mins max as once rinsed and dried I can finish off in the garage. Its a very quiet street and I am a permit holder for where you can park at the other side of the street.

The wardens have been spot on to be fair since we moved in. You can park outside overnight and one morning they got a neighbour to knock on my door to let me know my car needed moving as they are not allowed to tell me themselves. Nice touch I thought. The restrictions dont include Sunday which is usually my car washing day but during winter you want to get out when you get the right weather.

Double yellows mean no waiting at any time, so that's going to include car washing unfortunately. The double yellows have been put there for a reason, so you should not be leaving a car on them in my opinion. Is there not anywhere else you could (legally) wash your car?

Sadly not I'm afraid.

why is the yellow line there ?, presumably not to avoid double parking, and inadequate space for the dustmans lorry say ?

can get one of the wireless pressure washers at least one exponent of them in detailing , although don't remember seeing what volume of water container he uses;
personally the karcher k7 takes too much hassle/workout to setup, unrolling hose, heavy duty extension, lifting it .... then putting it away.
A wireless one would also enable me to do bicycles quickly too.
Yeah its tight enough with 2 cars parked either side I suppose.

The hole take a bucket etc to a petrol station seems a step too far. I'll stick to Sundays when the parking attendants are off I think.

Obviously tough without knowing your street, but if you have a garage, is there not somewhere in front of the garage? Unless that also faces onto the main road with double yellows?

A cordless pressure washer would be perfectly adequate. I've got the Ryobi one, just make sure to buy the more powerful option (45bar) rather than the 22bar one. Can be fed from a bucket too.

I think I'll have a look at the portable option. My drive is pretty narrow so I cant really get down the side of the car when its on there so it would be quite a pain.

Get your Mrs to drive up and down about 10 feet, then you can not be parked, and you won't have to do anything on the sides, just hold the sponge/pressure washer at varying levels.
The front and rear sections will be a little more interesting though!
Finally a sensible suggestion. I've just done it exactly this way. Cleaning the alloys was a bit tricky and I've lost most of my fingers but other than that its clean! :D

Last edited:
That's for areas where waiting is allowed. e.g. a single yellow line with waiting restrictions. I don't think any waiting is allowed on a double yellow. Also, most (all?) parking vultures are now private companies contracted by the council. They work on commission and get bonuses for the number of tickets they issue. So they have a big incentive to attack their prey as soon as they can.
As mentioned before the guys who have been coming down our street have been really good. Next time I see one I'm going to have a quick chat - can't hurt right?

Back
Top Bottom