Card/Service to book things in Japan

Soldato
I'm off to Japan in a couple of weeks and really struggling with booking a few things because I'm using my own cards registered in the UK.

This is apparently a fairly well known issue (I thought Japan was the future, it's really not in many ways!) so can anyone suggest a card or service I can get that would basically either spoof a Japanese location or be indifferent/less likely to be declined?

It's maddening!

I'm off to Japan in a couple of weeks and really struggling with booking a few things because I'm using my own cards registered in the UK.

This is apparently a fairly well known issue (I thought Japan was the future, it's really not in many ways!) so can anyone suggest a card or service I can get that would basically either spoof a Japanese location or be indifferent/less likely to be declined?

It's maddening!

This is a problem with a lot of things. Like certain events you will need to provide a local Japanese phone number to be able to book.

The way to get around most of them isn't finding a card that works, but using 3rd party services like Klook. It will cost you like 20% or so more, but the exchange rates are good, also it is also very easy to do as it's all in English.

Like to get Ghibli Museum tickets, you either have to be there on time when it drops a bath for the month or be there in person to get it from a machine in Lawsons. Or use Klook.

I think Shibuya Sky roof top also changed recently. You used to be able to book via their own website but that has gone "local" only, might be to do with limiting visitors due to over tourism.

I've used them to book a few things in the past such as the Robot Cafe, now Samurai Cafe (actually cheaper than buying at the door), and Ghibli tickets.

Last edited:
As for Japan is not the future…..you are going to be in some culture shock. Lol

Bring a little coin purse. Whilst card usage has increased a lot since the pandemic, it is still important to have lots of cash on you. I would carry roughly minimum 10,000 yen at all times, top up as necessary from getting it in an ATM in 7-11. Most of their cashpoints are inside the bank and the banks close at around 6pm so convenience stores are the only place, and most widely found place to access ATM.

If you don’t have an iPhone then the only way to get around on the subway is either get the Welcome Suica (red colour) or pay per trip with paper tickets. They are still struggling to get the regular Green colour normal Suica in stock. If you have iPhone then you can add the travel card into your iPhone. Andriod phones sold outside Japan don’t have this feature.

I’d carry more than that. Loads of local restaurants and shops just don’t accept card. Tokyo was better the last time I went but else where it’s cash.

iPhone ftw

Should note massively depends on your party size!

Last edited:
Thanks.. yeah we used klook for shibuya sky and I've heard the cash thing loud and clear for months :)

And the suica thing, iPhones are not an option for me, I've got one suica card from a colleague and we'll just have to figure it out somehow, paper isn't the end of the world, we've also bought a rail pass for the middle of the break where we do a bunch of train travel over a week..

The thing we're struggling to book is a bus from Tokyo to Fuji station 5 to start a climb.. I don't think I can do that on klook?

Thanks.. yeah we used klook for shibuya sky and I've heard the cash thing loud and clear for months :)

And the suica thing, iPhones are not an option for me, I've got one suica card from a colleague and we'll just have to figure it out somehow, paper isn't the end of the world, we've also bought a rail pass for the middle of the break where we do a bunch of train travel over a week..

The thing we're struggling to book is a bus from Tokyo to Fuji station 5 to start a climb.. I don't think I can do that on klook?

I think you can put Suica on the Google smart watch (try that if you have one).

As for the bus, I remember booking a bus the night before online....

Are you booking it through this site?

I've had no problems using my HSBC Global Money debit card either booking services (ski passes etc) for Japan while in the UK or while physically in Japan (inc digital wallet).

Back
Top Bottom