Carp Fishing

Man of Honour
Any fellow Carp anglers here @ OcUK?
i popped down to a local lake in Yateley this afternoon for a few hours.. first time carp fishing in 13 years, and 15 years since i fished this particular lake
i managed to take a 17lb Common off the top on pop-up boillie

2004ilu.jpg

i had another 3 hook-ups but lost them due to the thick weed the lake has :(

this is where i fished..
307xfcz.jpg

^^nice place to spend the afternoon :)
as ive got membership down there for the year i expect to have a few more so il post the pics here (although nobody ever comes into this sub-forum lol)

Last edited:
ta mate, yeah it felt good to get a bend in the rod again :D
that was my *87th fish from that lake* :o.... i fished it for a couple of seasons many years ago

* i caught some of them a couple of times so not 87 different fish, ive got photo's of most of them which ive been sorting out tonight,
it'l be interesting to see if i catch one that ive had before and see the weight difference, as they're so distinguishable it shouldnt be too hard to match them up
the lake has been restocked since i last fished it though so it maybe a while till i get a match up

UPDATE: (not worth a thread bump)11/07/14
ive been back down there a couple more times surface fishing but no joy :(
i lost another one due to the weed again.. as soon as i hooked it it bolted 25-30 feet away but my line was still entering the water where id hooked the fish as it had run through a weed bed and my hooklink parted, next time i go il be using 14lb mainline as a hooklink instead of the Fox 10lb pre-stretched buoyant fluorocarbon expensive crap ive been using, this 10lb pre-stretched stuff has no abrasion resistance qualities at all :/
i also lost another carp of around 8-9lb while float fishing on a smaller lake with maggots for roach/bream, i was only using a 2lb 4oz hooklink though and fishing in a bit of a snaggy swim so the expected happened there lol

Last edited:
managed to finish up at work early today so popped down there again for a few hours
and managed to take another one off the top,
19lb, almost a leather carp but had a few scales, no one was close enough to take a pic for me so here it is on the mat

2cz2e5t.jpg

Last edited:
^^ great stuff, they put up a good scrap at that kinda weight.. especially on a pole, she did very well

UPDATE 13/08, been back down 2 times since my last catch, conditions have been pretty poor for surface fishing, we really need no wind, and no clouds is preferred.. as soon as a bit of wind hits the water you dont see the fish and end up just playing lucky dip, looks like tomorrow will be worth a shot, no wind to speak of but some cloud forcast

Last edited:
^^ actually the common was a nice fish, not a mark on it, the white bits are slime as it went a bit mental once i netted it
the leathery one had been caught many times before though by the looks of it.
the Yateley lakes used to contain some of the best/most famous in the country, most of the lakes held just a handfull of big carp,
but as the years went on and the bigger older carp died off the lakes were re-stocked and are now mostly being run by a club with 3500 members, so the lakes get much more pressure.. it sucks to see what the place has become :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom