Cars and cold mornings?

Don
I have asked numerous people this question but I get a different answer it seems. My knowledge is that you have to drive your car in cold mornings straight away and not just starting the car, putting the heaters on full blast and walking away for 10 mins.

Please clarify?

Associate
Well i start the car, press a few buttons for the heated front and rear windscreens, turn the fans on hot and on windscreen, get the de-icer out, de ice side windows get in wait untill the front and side windows are clear then go, this takes about 3-4mins if its very bad, like this morning.

Soldato
someone will steal your car if you leave it with the engine running :)
As long as you do not over rev it when very cold it will be ok and it will warm up faster as you are putting the engine under load, as well as getting some MPG.
The problem on really cold days is that the screen frosts up again as soon as you move

Soldato
I always let mine warm up a bit before I drive it.

come out of house (leave door on latch)
start car( give it a few revs to get it going)
go back inside house
make brew
come back outside
scrape remaining ice off
drive to work

a better system that the girl over the road who was going for the pour water over car aproach before it warmed up and was getting a lovely thin layer of ice all over her car.

Paul

Soldato
You should start the car and drive straight off. Something to do with the oil pressure not being high enough at idle when cold, therefore not drawing the oil up enough. Someone will correct if I'm wrong but its something like that.

Personally I let it idle whilst I scrape my windows. That little bit of heat from the heaters stops everything misting/icing up as soon as I drive off.

Permabanned
why on earth do people use de-icer/scrapers ?

every winter I see them standing in my road chipping away for 10 minutes :confused:

me = bucket of slightly warm water, chuck over car, drive off.... :p

Soldato
I get in and start the car, switch on the windscreen and rear window heaters and the air-con. Scrape off the rear side windows (it's an Estate). By the time I have done that the front and rear windows have melted and I drive off.

Caporegime
bitslice said:
why on earth do people use de-icer/scrapers ?

I used de-icer once and then realised it was an absolute waste of time, they just steam up or freeze up again in seconds. Which is a pretty obvious result of making the windscreen colder really.

me = bucket of slightly warm water, chuck over car, drive off.... :p

Yup, warm water for the win. Not only gets the ice off quicker but warms the windows up reducing the chance of steaming up or refreezing. Personally, I wipe the water off as a I go though.

Soldato
You should never leave the car idling to warm it up as it takes far too long for the oil to circulate round the engine fully. It also takes orders of magnitude longer for the car to warm up this way compared to simply driving it.

As for chucking buckets of water over the car, if the water is too warm then you risk cracking the glass and if it's not warm enough then it'll just re-freeeze instantly leaving a sheet of ice over the windows.

Permabanned
andybtsn said:
Warm water is good for all of 20 seconds but if you get out at 8:00am when its still about -2 degrees, the water just freezes.

t'was about -5 degrees when I was setting off.

I bung some fairy liquid in the bucket if it's really cold,
put wipers on to clear the windows of water, and lower the side windows to do the same.

unusually it was a two bucket job this morning though :)

Suspended
my corrado manual states that you should not leave it idling to warm it up, however, thats just general driving, not sure about when its iced over.

The Prelude manual states that you should start the engine, turn the rear electric heater on, turn 'recurculate' air on, turn the heat up to full heat and power.

Permabanned
Vertigo1 said:
You should never leave the car idling to warm it up as it takes far too long for the oil to circulate round the engine fully. It also takes orders of magnitude longer for the car to warm up this way compared to simply driving it.
I know, but if you can't see where you're going, then driving ain't very advisable, agreed?

As for chucking buckets of water over the car, if the water is too warm then you risk cracking the glass and if it's not warm enough then it'll just re-freeeze instantly leaving a sheet of ice over the windows.
Indeed, which is why people warm the car up and/or use de-icer/scraper...

Permabanned
MNuTz said:
The Prelude manual states that you should start the engine, turn the rear electric heater on, turn 'recurculate' air on, turn the heat up to full heat and power.
Turning the heater on straight away on a freezing morning isn't going to achieve much is it, apart from helping to flatten your battery and making the engine take longer to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom