Cars Around 20k That Are Not So Likely To Depreciate?

Associate
Given the inflation and shortages happening causing used car prices to skyrocket which cars would be recommended for someone who has to upgrade but doesn't feel so good about paying a rip off price for the replacement?

My current car is an 09 and there is a lot of rust underneath. The spring just snapped and looking under the car with a camera it's only gonna keep getting worse.

Lets limit this to all generic and performance cars around the 20k mark, no classics/rust magnets like JDM but normal cars you see as not so bad to pay an inflated price for because you think they will hold value fairly.

I was thinking Golf R because it's an enthusiast car, usually well maintained and with the push to electric might retain it's market in the future.

Not sure how well diesels would fair.

How about vans? With everyone being priced out of houses people are gonna start living in their vans.

On the other hand performance BMWs like M4s seem to be crashing in value over the last few years :confused:

Associate
OP
This is from 2020. wonder how it compares today but might give you some ideas. id deffo get something you want and can drive. You dont want something to just sit in a garage.

They listed the Impreza... would that also include the recent WRX (for example 2017 model) seeing as they are moving away from combustion engines? That or the Evo X because discontinued.

Associate
OP
Most of the cars mentioned aren't really that practical. Classic cars (Caterham), small cars (Elise) and very high powered cars (Old M3/C63) that will run you down in fuel costs rather than save anything.

So is it safe to assume there are no practical newer cars you can buy, use a moderate amount (5k mileage a year) that will hold their value?

I mentioned the Golf R because it's a daily driver which enthusiasts also go for. Most hot hatches are in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom