Casual mountain bike upto £500??

ajf

ajf

Soldato
As title really.
Tried a road bike a few years back and whilst I loved the bike (Bianchi) I just couldn't get myself confident and used to traffic etc.
However I do enjoy photography and often think it would be helpful to have something I can just take with me in the countryside and hop on.

The only thing I really want on it are easy quick release for front AND rear wheels as I only have an Aygo so it would have to go in pieces to fit!

So, what should I look at?
If I dare say it, am I Just as well off at somewhere like Halfords for what I want?!

Soldato
Hargroves Cycles are good shops. They also organise MTB days so you can try out bikes, take a look at their Facebook page. That's a big plus if you asked me.

Rgds

Caporegime
What was your biggest issue with the road bike? narrow tyres or drop bars?

your probably better off with a hybrid over a mtb though.

If it's going in your car your unlikely to be riding it somewhere you will actually need a mtb unless you like getting your car filthy.

might want to consider a cylocross bike if your not scared of drop bars but want wider tyres than a road bike

Caporegime
What was your biggest issue with the road bike? narrow tyres or drop bars?

your probably better off with a hybrid over a mtb though.

If it's going in your car your unlikely to be riding it somewhere you will actually need a mtb unless you like getting your car filthy.

might want to consider a cylocross bike if your not scared of drop bars but want wider tyres than a road bike

This totally depends on the countryside he means. Down briddleways or even uneven paths etc then a hardtail is the easy option here. Espically if there isn't any road.

But yes be prepared to have to clean your car.

Soldato
I say get a mountain bike. There are so many good brands out there, Trek, Marin, Cannondale, Orange etc etc. Have a look at what's in your price range and ask for a second opinion here.

Soldato
I say get a mountain bike. There are so many good brands out there, Trek, Marin, Cannondale, Orange etc etc. Have a look at what's in your price range and ask for a second opinion here.

Yeh, hard tails with front shocks have to be the most versatile/value bikes. You can always put skinny tyres on it and lock the fork if you find you're riding more road.

I don't really get hybrids and cyclocross bikes unless you're always knowing your terrain.

Last edited:

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
Sorry for not replying, completely forgot I had posted this!

Main issue with the road bike as I mentioned was I just couldn't get on with mixing with traffic on roads.
I just lacked the confidence.
The road bike itself was fantastic. It did have drop bars but was capable of being more upright too - hope you understand.

Main use would be bridleways or semi paved forest paths etc, so I think a mountain would still be the best idea.
Fair point on the dirty car, but I guess that is down to where I use it rather than the type of bike?

I'll have a look at some of the brands mentioned and see what I can get for the budget.

Caporegime
Vodoo Bazinga 29er thing would suit fine and about the price. But I'd get as much XC oriented bike as possible for your needs. Getting a rack would make life easier.

Caporegime
Yeh, hard tails with front shocks have to be the most versatile/value bikes. You can always put skinny tyres on it and lock the fork if you find you're riding more road.

I don't really get hybrids and cyclocross bikes unless you're always knowing your terrain.
Hybrids are just hard tail Mb's with slightly narrower tyres? and wheel rim dictates how skinny a tyre you can go with.
so you can't really do it on a MTB?

Main use would be bridleways or semi paved forest paths etc, so I think a mountain would still be the best idea.
cyclocross bikes are awesome fun on this kind of terrain and front shocks on cheap mtb/hybrids are generally pretty useless.

Honestly think CX is the way to go if
The road bike itself was fantastic. It did have drop bars but was capable of being more upright too - hope you understand.
Yea riding on the hoods is pretty much the default position.

Anyway I'm with this guys opinion

Last edited:
Soldato
A quick and dirty solution (pun intended) to keeping the car boot clean is something like this, line the boot, insert bike and fold the rest over the top.

I've found that a waterproof cover isnt really the best solution. The muddy water pools on it and eventually will run off and get the car dirty.
I use a couple of old quilts. They soak up and water and also have loads of padding so your bike doesnt get scratched if you stick another on top.

For bike choice, it sounds like either a hardtail mtb or a cyclocross bike would do the job. CX is generally more expensive so you might struggle to find something in your budget.

Back
Top Bottom