Cat / Kitten?!?

Associate
Hi folks

Looking for some advice from the cat owners amongst you here. My fiancee and I are currently looking at getting a kitten but have had a mass mix of advice from actual cat establishments themselves, which has slightly bamboozled us. We were looking for a kitten, about 3 to 6 months, but are both out the house for about 8 hours a day at work. Most places have said this would be too long to leave the kitten on its own but having two may be a better option as it would be company. Other places have said that it is too long for even 2 kittens to be left unattended. When I ask what sort of age cats could be left alone for 8 hours the answers have ranged from 1 to 4 years old.

I was just wondering if anyone here would be able to advise as to how old their cat/s were when they got them and how long they were left unattended for?

TIA :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies already. I guess a single kitten is going out the window, which, if best for the cat in the longrun, is fine by me.

So would 2 kittens, aged about 5-6 months be ok left by themselves for 8 hours? I would definitely look to get them from the same litter though. Hopefully our house would be big enough, also, when old enough, they would get outdoors.

Vixen, where did you get your cats from? Was it a breeder? We have so far been to the Lothian Cat Rescue Home and the SSPCA at Balerno, going to the CP on Thursday.

Associate
OP
Thanks folks for all the replies. My fiancee is slightly worried, as am I, that possibly two kittens would be too much to take on, both area size of our house, and financially, double the costs and all.

I think we may therefore look for something a wee bit older, maybe just over a year, which would still allow us to go down the single cat route, hopefully?!?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help @ the original time of this thread. My fiancee and I went back to the Lothian Cat Rescue home today and ended up getting a five year old cat, bit older than we had planned, but the minute we saw him, we knew he was the one. He had only been in the home for a week, hadnt got on with another cat but he truly is the friendliest and funniest cat ever. He is making himself right at home and it is a challenge keeping up with him. Below are some pics, thanks again to everyone for their help.

dsc01638gd1.jpg

dsc01645nn4.jpg

dsc01648ij3.jpg

dsc01650oi8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom