Cats scratchin furniture

Associate
I have a 2 year old cat. She has 2 scratch posts to scratch on, but guess what she likes my 3 piece suite better. HOW DO I STOP HER???

I have tried scooshing her with water, water and lemon juice, moving her to the front of her scatch post ,used to get her nails cut but i let her out now and i dont think its fair if shes in a fight and shes no nails .

Can anyone help me???

Ive gone through 2 suites in the space of 2 years because of her.

thanx for any information :)

Soldato
You can buy plastic protective covers for furniture designed for this very problem. I often see them in those mail order catalogues (I just like reading them is all :o )

Soldato
I'd suggest protectors, lemon juice (most cats hat citrus - except one of mine who will happily rip through an orange - weirdo) or cat pheromone/hormone spray (for the life of me I can't recall the name - Feliway or something - your vet should be able to refer you).

On the concept of throwing water at your cat, I read a book on cat psychology when I first got mine (my girlfriend at the time was a vet/nurse and had this kinda stuff lying around) and it made a point of stating that cats are very much on-the-spot learners (unlike dogs) so you had to punish them at the exact time they were breaking the rules. Get yourself a water-pistol and keep it in your living room - when your moggie stretches out, zap her. Don't chase her into the next room and zap her there and don't pin her down under the coffee table and zap her mercilessly (not matter how much you want to).

Might help :)

Don
the softpaws things are rubbish , our cat thought they were great to play with

if it is a hard surface or leather that is being scratched cover the area in vaseline , after they get that on their paws a couple of times they soon get fed up

Permabanned
ilovesoftpawstoo.jpg

made me laugh!! :D

Developed by a veterinarian, Soft Paws are vinyl nail caps that are applied to your cat's claws. This amazing product effectively covers the claws so no damage occurs when your cat scratches.

now for the bit they didnt put on the net...

As your cat screams and scratches through all layers of your skin, remember that your cat loves you for trying... and failing... to put its claws in nappies.

Associate
OP
Asked the vet but they couldn't come up with anything but ill take note of the name and try again . Got the scatch poles next to the couch and chairs, still no use, she's just determined.

And for water scoushy i go through 3 bottles a day of water scoushing her, its as though its becoming a game to her.

Please Keep relpies coming in.
All ideas appreciated :D

Soldato
Have you tried different types of scratching posts? Some cats prefer vertical ones and others prefer horizontal. My cats both prefer to stretch up while they scratch but they have a tall cat tree which allows them to do so.

Soldato
Vixen said:
Have you tried different types of scratching posts? Some cats prefer vertical ones and others prefer horizontal. My cats both prefer to stretch up while they scratch but they have a tall cat tree which allows them to do so.

Have you tried a different material on the couch. My denim type couch was annilalated. I moved to leather and they never go near it.

Permabanned
anggie said:
I have a 2 year old cat. She has 2 scratch posts to scratch on, but guess what she likes my 3 piece suite better. HOW DO I STOP HER???

I have tried scooshing her with water, water and lemon juice, moving her to the front of her scatch post ,used to get her nails cut but i let her out now and i dont think its fair if shes in a fight and shes no nails .

Can anyone help me???

Ive gone through 2 suites in the space of 2 years because of her.

thanx for any information :)

You could amputate her paws?

Man of Honour
Toekiller said:
Have you tried a different material on the couch. My denim type couch was annilalated. I moved to leather and they never go near it.
Same here, our cat was a flipping nightmare with our old sofa.. she put a fair few holes in it so we had to buy a new one. We decided to go leather but I was really dubious about her starting on it too, oddly enough she only went to jump on it once and skidded across it and hasn't bothered at all since. It also helped that any time she goes near either of the leather sofas we say "no" in a firm voice.. took a while but now she has absolutely NO interest in getting on them or clawing them.

FWIW we tried all the products from our local pet store and also all the "natural" stuff like pepper, vinegar, citrus juices etc and NOTHING worked. We also bought two different scratch posts, one horizontal and one vertical but she hasn't touched them at all in the two years they've been around. Curiously, this summer she has been having a go at the outer door mat out on the patio and her claws are a lot better for it.. one of those brown, coarse hairy things (coir?):

11894classic.jpg

Good luck, I know it can be a pain.

Soldato
if my cousins kitty tries to scratch the sofa, she grabs its paws and puts them on the scratching post.

I think it's learning now though, because I saw it use the post instead of the sofa yesterday! :)

Back
Top Bottom