CD/DVD Drive Problem

Associate
Just reinstalled my rig yesterday with Windows XP Pro SP2, all runs fine, until i start to access the CD/DVDRW drive, the system slows right down and installs take ages. I have moved the drive to its own channel (IDE1), checked all cables. This seems like a very odd problem, as when the CD Drive is not accessed the system is fine, and the drive was working fine before the reinstall :confused:

Spec
AMD Athlon (OC to 2.2ghz)
1gb 2700 Ram
Abit NF7-S Mobo
160gb Sata Drive
Geforce 5800 (Softmodded to Ultra speeds)
External Buffalo USB Hard Drive
Pioneer DVD-106D

All latest drivers installed, the only issue i can see is that the drive is picked up as a SCSI device in device manager.

Cheers J

Associate
OP
Werewolf said:
scsi normally means (if it's not a scsi drive;)) that windows doesn't recognise the driver for it as IDE (i've seen it happen with all sorts of ide drive controllers from various companies).

I would suggest checking the drive is in DMA mode rather than PIO (much slower with high cpu use), and checking your ide drivers for the controller it is on are installed properly.

I vaguely remember having fun with an NF7-S motherboard myself in the past, and I can't remember if it was solved by updating the ide drivers, or by removing the nvidia ones.

Cheers. How to i check the drive is in DMA mode, i have been in the BIOS and all IDE channels settings are set to auto. I will install the original drivers that came with the mobo and see if that helps.

Associate
OP
Sorted! For future reference, you have to unistall the IDE channel and devices and reboot the system, windows then installs its own drivers instead of the nVidia ones :D

Back
Top Bottom