Ceiling speakers vs Sound bars

Soldato
I got the opportunity to put speakers in my ceiling right now in some of my rooms such as the living room and dining room which both have TV's.

question is are ceiling speakers better than sound bars or not?

can anyone spec me a good set of ceiling speakers and all parts please?

Caporegime
If it's for movies or TV I'd prefer a sound bar because at least the sound is coming from the right direction.

Ceiling speakers are great for music or as part of a complete surround system (as Atmos speakers or even as surrounds at a pinch) but as a sole source of TV audio they'd be pretty rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Put the wiring in and decide later. In fact, put the wiring in for ceiling speakers and a sound bar and wall mounted speakers!

I went with KEF Eggs in the end and I'm really happy with the result. They were pretty decent value on eBay once the right set came up and sound decent enough. They're quite a lot bigger in the flesh than you might think though.

Soldato
I strongly advise you to cable in for the eventuality of ceiling speakers anyway, as you may never get the chance again.

In future you may want a Dolby ATMOS system, whereby Ceiling speakers are designed into that format i.e. sounds from stuff above you literally come from above you.

Caporegime
I got the opportunity to put speakers in my ceiling right now in some of my rooms such as the living room and dining room which both have TV's.

question is are ceiling speakers better than sound bars or not?

can anyone spec me a good set of ceiling speakers and all parts please?

ceiling speakers alone aren't good enough.

for tv use you need minimum a speaker each side of tv and one in the middle of it (centre) so that is 3 right there straight away. then you need a subwoofer for big bass so that is another 1 which is essential.

now you can add ceiling speakers as surrounds so that is at least another 2 speakers. so that is 6 speakers per room plus 2 amps. for a decent setup your talking minimum £5K easy you could easily triple that for a top setup.

it sounds to me though your the ideal customer for sonos. buy yourself a soundbar plus 2 surround speakers for each room. total cost £2k and you can add more speakers as you wish and they will all work together. best things is no wires needed so your ceiling is fine.

also IMO ceiling speakers look good but are usually crap compared to same budget non ceiling speakers so you need to go very very expensive.

with a seperates setup it's possible for a multi room setup but it's far more difficult if you don't have a clue like yourself.

Soldato
OP
cheers guys

I still have the option for ceiling speakers in my 2nd tv room but in the first one I am going to settle for a sound bar + sub woofer setup
that will be good enough for now.

Back
Top Bottom