Celica GT-Four ST205

Associate
I am thinking about replacing my MR2 turbo with one, and going to view one I found for sale locally tomorrow. It looks to be in completely original condition.

Are there any owners on here? Any model specific things that I should check which are not well publicised? The car i'm viewing seems well priced (£2000) so I am a little suspect, but it looks like it would make a nice upgrade/sidestep from an MR2.

Associate
OP
I do like the Supra, but they are a bit large, maybe a bit too refined, and the one that I would want is way above my price range.

And I fancy a 4wd coupe :p

From looking at the parts prices on TCBparts.co.uk you can worst case completely overhaul the front suspension for £700'ish, but I doubt everything will need doing if there is a little wear. Some of it has been replaced in the past.

Associate
OP
You'll already know about the figure 8's and will obviously know about the engine. Go check it out and see, decent ones generally start from 3k though and I've seen a couple with some real tin worm but no worse than the mk2 is now getting on average

Do you know if there are any specific areas where rust tends to take hold that I should check, like there is for the MR2?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply DGBVIPER

To be honest I don't really want anything faster than my MR2 for now - Accelerating hard in 1st/2nd gear feels pretty uncontrollable as it is and I rarely take it above 5krpm anyway. I am starting to prefer 'Gt' like qualities in a car as opposed to balls out racers.

I have looked on the GT4OC but couldn't find many standard cars for sale, and it appears you have to pay for access to the technical help forums? Which I am very against, unless they are distributing the membership fees fairly amongst those who contribute (yeah right).

Associate
OP
Well I bought it... :D

Will do a detailed update with pics tomorrow. It's not perfect and has a couple of niggles (a dashboard rattle being the worst GAHHHHH) but I got it for less than £1600. It's a completely stock 1994 import. Even has the hideous 3 spoke OEM alloys and stereo.

Associate
OP
Pics:

2012_10_27_16_05_47.jpg

2012_10_27_16_06_07.jpg

2012_10_27_17_15_41.jpg

2012_10_27_17_15_49.jpg

2012_10_27_16_07_03.jpg

Given it a 200mile shakedown so far. Problems/observations:

-Front bumper needs painting/re-alignment. You can probably make this out in the pics. the rest of the paintwork is ok.
-Wheels could do with a refurb, and I think the tyres are the wrong size - they are a 55 profile.
-Dashboard rattle behind instrument binnacle - probably left by an incompetent alarm fitter.
-Clutch pedal seems a little slow in coming back up, and is far lighter than the one in my MR2. It had a new clutch not long back. Will have to investigate this - It may be normal operation. Can any owners confirm?
-Windscreen washers are dead. I can hear the pump spinning. Think the impeller is broken.
-Passenger electric folding mirror not folding.
-The OEM stereo really sucks. How was this level of sound quality ever acceptable in a 30k car!? Makes me realise how much I had got used to my Clarion/Focal setup.
- Is that exhaust tip stock?

Mechanically it seems solid. No clunks fron the suspension, drives nice and tightly, engine feels good if a little strangled compared to my MR2. Combination of having a CAT and drivetrain losses I guess.

Overall I really like it. It is so much more planted down B-roads than my MR2 ever was - the handling really is a delight. Feels much larger to drive, slower, and definitely less raw.

I will probably keep both cars for now.

Associate
OP
the car looks really quite odd, maybe its just the camera/photos?

Not sure what you mean, but they were taken with my galaxy s3.

Many thanks for the responses DGBVIPER,. I didn't bother with those door cards in the end as finding & fitting some 3 way components seemed like an unnecessary faff :p. I'll probably just stick some 2 way Focals in and make up some spacers for the woofers.

Do you have any comment regarding my experience with the clutch? I'm not really sure it's even a problem anymore. I really need to try out another GT4 to compare.

I was going to get it up on stands and have a root around underneath today but the weather put an end to that. Removed the instrument binnacle and polished up the plastic fascia instead. I reccomend anyone who has a >5yr old car with a plastic binnacle do the same - it makes a massive difference.

Associate
OP
As I said earlier the front bumper needs re-aligning, painting & blending into the front wings. Whenever it was removed last it was not put back properly, and if it is anything like the MR2 bumper in design I empathise with whoever did it. The paintwork across the rest of the car is fine, certainly none of it is matt. Odd trolley ding here and there that I may pull out if I get time. Definitely no severe acident damage repairs. All seams and unibody panels are original. Been there, bought a car with that before, never again.

It's not lowered. That side shot is deceptive as the ground was pretty uneven, and imo the tyres fitted are of too high a profile.

I do have pics of the MR2 somewhere. If you want to imagine what it looks like it's goodwood green, visually stock save for gun metal OEM anniversary alloys, clear toblerones and a 25mm drop. I have decided that this will not be replacing it. Will run both for now, and maybe sell one next summer.

The up/down gear linkage bush is pretty worn. I have some new ones on order.

I changed the clutch fluid this evening, and removed some ghastly Razo aluminium pedal covers to reveal pretty mint oem rubber ones. Result!

Associate
OP
The gearshift bushes need to allow for 3 axis of movement to be as smooth and slick as possible. The compliance In the oem bushes allows for this. Either replace with oem, or spherical bearings if you can find some in the correct size. Don't use poly replacements or those cheap rollerskating ball bearing reacements - they are poorly thought out compromises.

Associate
OP
Definitely go OEM. A bunch of mid 90's Toyotas all shared the same bush so you could even grab one off a Corrola or something in a breakers yard if you were feeling cheap :p

Got some goodies in the mail today - a new keyfob shell/rubber pad for the Toad alarm, OEM oil filter & a nice new leather gearstick boot.

Back
Top Bottom