Celica GT-Four ST205

Soldato
ca8fd.gif
:D

Associate
OP
Well I bought it... :D

Will do a detailed update with pics tomorrow. It's not perfect and has a couple of niggles (a dashboard rattle being the worst GAHHHHH) but I got it for less than £1600. It's a completely stock 1994 import. Even has the hideous 3 spoke OEM alloys and stereo.

Associate
Congratulations :) Definitely get yourself on the OC though it's the best 20quid you'll ever spend for parts, discounts and a wealth of info!
Hideous? Ive been looking for a cheap set of 3 spokes for ages to use in winter!

Associate
OP
Pics:

2012_10_27_16_05_47.jpg

2012_10_27_16_06_07.jpg

2012_10_27_17_15_41.jpg

2012_10_27_17_15_49.jpg

2012_10_27_16_07_03.jpg

Given it a 200mile shakedown so far. Problems/observations:

-Front bumper needs painting/re-alignment. You can probably make this out in the pics. the rest of the paintwork is ok.
-Wheels could do with a refurb, and I think the tyres are the wrong size - they are a 55 profile.
-Dashboard rattle behind instrument binnacle - probably left by an incompetent alarm fitter.
-Clutch pedal seems a little slow in coming back up, and is far lighter than the one in my MR2. It had a new clutch not long back. Will have to investigate this - It may be normal operation. Can any owners confirm?
-Windscreen washers are dead. I can hear the pump spinning. Think the impeller is broken.
-Passenger electric folding mirror not folding.
-The OEM stereo really sucks. How was this level of sound quality ever acceptable in a 30k car!? Makes me realise how much I had got used to my Clarion/Focal setup.
- Is that exhaust tip stock?

Mechanically it seems solid. No clunks fron the suspension, drives nice and tightly, engine feels good if a little strangled compared to my MR2. Combination of having a CAT and drivetrain losses I guess.

Overall I really like it. It is so much more planted down B-roads than my MR2 ever was - the handling really is a delight. Feels much larger to drive, slower, and definitely less raw.

I will probably keep both cars for now.

Associate
I found these 2 speaker door cards on Ebay - does anyone know if they are OEM?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300800568033

They are indeed.
Some gt4's came with the expensive live sound system where you had 2 speaker door cards for low and mid speakers plus tweeters on the wingmirror covers to create a 6 speaker system up front. Of course this level of sound came with a built in toyota amp to power it all properly so that has to be factored in. Plus the speaker sizes are awkward and jap, lows are 20cm/8" iirc.

Big wing was only big because it had riser blocks on it; was indeed WRC cars but all late spec models too, almost everyone has them nowadays as imo it looks better

"I think the tyres are the wrong size - they are a 55 profile." Standard 3 spokes are 16" and a pain to get tyres for but standard was indeed 55 profile

"The OEM stereo really sucks." Dear lord it really does :(

"Is that exhaust tip stock" Yup, stock exhaust looked a little strange and small for the car

HTH :)

Associate
OP
the car looks really quite odd, maybe its just the camera/photos?

Not sure what you mean, but they were taken with my galaxy s3.

Many thanks for the responses DGBVIPER,. I didn't bother with those door cards in the end as finding & fitting some 3 way components seemed like an unnecessary faff :p. I'll probably just stick some 2 way Focals in and make up some spacers for the woofers.

Do you have any comment regarding my experience with the clutch? I'm not really sure it's even a problem anymore. I really need to try out another GT4 to compare.

I was going to get it up on stands and have a root around underneath today but the weather put an end to that. Removed the instrument binnacle and polished up the plastic fascia instead. I reccomend anyone who has a >5yr old car with a plastic binnacle do the same - it makes a massive difference.

Associate
Not sure what you mean, but they were taken with my galaxy s3.

Do you have any comment regarding my experience with the clutch? I'm not really sure it's even a problem anymore. I really need to try out another GT4 to compare.

Afraid I cannot really assist here not had clutch issues yet, however mines does not seem 'slow' to come back up - perhaps an air lock? Quick bleed or refresh of fluid can only be a good thing

If you do decide to get rid of the 3 spokes give me a shout, as I said in the market for some on the cheap :)

Definitely get a look underneath before the cold really sets in, maybe a fresh waxoil if it looks like it needs it. Check the bottom of the doors at the guttering for rust, classic issue usually starts there first with the gutters being blocked with gunk.

Back
Top Bottom