Chair suggestion please

Associate
Office is closed due to Coronovirus concerns and so I find myself working from home, sat on a wooden kitchen chair. My arse is numb, knees stiff, back is aching and my wallet is sat right next to me...

I'm looking for something that would fit well in a home office environment - I'm edging towards 40 here so illusions of ever becoming a racing driver have gone and I don't need to trick things out like a Citreon Saxo in a Halfords' car park on a Friday night. I don't listen to grime music.

Quite liking the look of the Noblechair Epic or Hero chairs in black. Any advantage of one over the other or indeed any other suggestions? My car seats hug the kidneys a bit so don't mind something a little more shaped at the rear.

I'm 6'3" and of slim to average build at 85kg after a big poo. Wife is a bit shorter and with a proportionate reduction in build.

OcUK Staff
noblechairs is recommended if you're looking to be sat in the chair for some time, which as you're working from home, I guess it will be 9 hours or so. :)

EPIC and HERO are both fantastic, the HERO is bigger than the EPIC, so depends on if you prefer the extra room etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Am I right in thinking the Epic is a bit more shaped/molded whereas the Hero has a flatter back given it is broader? Plus the Hero has in-built adjustable lumbar support which the Epic doesn't?

Associate
I work at home on a real leather hero, I highly recommend it. At 6ft 3 you're likely too big for the epic, the slightly curved racing style seat will probably annoy whereas the Hero has a very wide, extremely flat seat.

They do need to wear in from initial firmness but it doesn't take long.

Soldato
Just been in to IKEA and Currys (large store with a gaming section).

Currys had the Noble Icon in, as well as a bunch of other chairs (Corsair, ADX, Arozzi). Not the best selection, but enough to get an idea of what the various price points offer. Most of them were crap. The exceptions being the ADX Champion, which was reasonably comfortable for the £160 price point, the Corsair, which was comfortable, but both chairs were broken, and... OMG the Noble is soooooo comfortable :D It's like the best thing I've ever sat on.

Went to IKEA after and their chairs were fine. Better than most of the "gaming" chairs in Currys at the same price point. But not a single one compared to the Icon. I even went back to Currys to check I wasn't deceiving myself.

I'm now trying to decide whether it's worth the expense. I shouldn't be spending ~£300 on a chair. My budget was around £150. But the difference is night and day.

Associate
Just been in to IKEA and Currys (large store with a gaming section).

Currys had the Noble Icon in, as well as a bunch of other chairs (Corsair, ADX, Arozzi). Not the best selection, but enough to get an idea of what the various price points offer. Most of them were crap. The exceptions being the ADX Champion, which was reasonably comfortable for the £160 price point, the Corsair, which was comfortable, but both chairs were broken, and... OMG the Noble is soooooo comfortable :D It's like the best thing I've ever sat on.

Went to IKEA after and their chairs were fine. Better than most of the "gaming" chairs in Currys at the same price point. But not a single one compared to the Icon. I even went back to Currys to check I wasn't deceiving myself.

I'm now trying to decide whether it's worth the expense. I shouldn't be spending ~£300 on a chair. My budget was around £150. But the difference is night and day.

This limited edition Hero might be an option at a slightly lower price point. Arguably an upgrade from an Icon in terms of built in lumbar support, but they are firmer at first, it doesn't come with the pillows but I only use the head pillow on my leather Hero anyway and you can buy a head pillow cheaply. The one it comes is decent but no better than basic ones on Ebay, etc.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nobl...ack-white-limited-edition-2019-gc-028-nc.html

Soldato
This limited edition Hero might be an option at a slightly lower price point. Arguably an upgrade from an Icon in terms of built in lumbar support, but they are firmer at first, it doesn't come with the pillows but I only use the head pillow on my leather Hero anyway and you can buy a head pillow cheaply. The one it comes is decent but no better than basic ones on Ebay, etc.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nobl...ack-white-limited-edition-2019-gc-028-nc.html

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at.

£150 for Ikea's Markus, £160 for the ADX Champion, or £270 for the Hero. I'm leaning toward the Hero, helped by the 0% offer from PayPal. The Markus and Champion both look covered in regret to me :p

Associate
OP
I work at home on a real leather hero, I highly recommend it. At 6ft 3 you're likely too big for the epic, the slightly curved racing style seat will probably annoy whereas the Hero has a very wide, extremely flat seat.

They do need to wear in from initial firmness but it doesn't take long.

Ah, thanks. Hadn't actually considered the effect the curvature might have higher up the chair. I'll have a closer look at the Hero. If only there was a better price on the plain black one... That said, the one with gold stitching isn't too bad.

Associate
OP
After a discussion with the Significant Purchases Committee, aka the wife, the hero "looks like one of those gaming chairs that teenagers and weird old men have". I didn't tell her that a) yes, it is a gaming chair or b) I am a weird old man.

So question is, what's the situation with returns if I defy her, order one, make it up and she still hates it and, by extension, me?

Associate
OP
My wife prefers the look of the icon to the hero. Any thoughts on the one vs the other, comfort and performance wise. Probably looking at the black edition if it matters.

Last edited:
Associate
I was in the same boat and preferred the Icon look as well, however I am quite broad so found it uncomfortable on my shoulders when leaning back on it. So luckily for me the wife said yes to the Hero Black Edition and amazingly the wife even said she likes it when it arrived

Associate
OP
I was in the same boat and preferred the Icon look as well, however I am quite broad so found it uncomfortable on my shoulders when leaning back on it. So luckily for me the wife said yes to the Hero Black Edition and amazingly the wife even said she likes it when it arrived

Wives, eh. Yet if we said we didn't like a handbag...

I think she prefers the hero in the black edition because it doesn't have the diamond stitching. It also looks to be slightly more matt in the pictures.

Associate
I have pretty much decided on the Hero black too.... Thanks to help in my post.
Do you guys plan on getting a footstool to go with a Hero ? I noticed they don't make a "black" edition of those sadly, not sure if my OCD can deal with one that doesn't exactly match the chair.. haha

Associate
I was in the market for a chair a few months ago and I also thought about the Noblechairs Hero as I thought the Epic would be too small as I am 6'3 and around 100kg, but after some positive feedback on here and a trip to OCUK to try them out I found the Epic to be perfect for my needs.

Associate
OP
@fiveub - anything you have to add on the icon vs hero and what differentiates to two, other than visual? Also, is the black edition more matt compared to the normal black one? Is the pu leather worth the extra? Incidentally, I'm wondering if it's similar stuff to what Mercedes use. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom