*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
Some more headroom in the processor if they added a bit of cooling and better VRMs, Dell XPS i7-8750H gets 1210 tailing down to a minimum of 1100 after a few runs.

I think Apple's power limits are slightly conservative before I returned mine the unofficial patch got mine up just under 1100.

Annoying it also fixed the weird slow downs I was seeing in VMs for MacRS4, that was the reason I returned it the unofficial mod helped these but didn't totally clear them looking up what the official patch does it regulates the power to all the components.

Will get another one ordered but going to hold out for possible updates to the VRMs on them.

Last edited:
Permabanned
A cooling system improvement would definitely help and there is room for it... especially dissipating the VRM heat

So far I'm happy with mine... nice speed bump and 80-90% of my use will only be taking advantage of short term bursts of single core performance... I don't tend to do much photo or video rendering on the go... just once in a while if I really want to share something with someone.

Associate
I’ve got a dual core 2.66 Ghz MacBook Pro, the screen can display 1080p no problem, it has the potential for 8 gigs of (DDR 3) RAM and 8TB (in two drives of 4TB, more capacity is likely in a few years) of SSD storage. With fresh Lithium Ion it will get about 7-9 hours of power if using the low power dGPU, 4-6 with the higher powered dGPU.

I can use it for design work and the white balance on the display is consistent.

Any upgrade advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
13" with touch bar would be a decent upgrade if you don't actually use the dedicated GPU, if you do then 15" is the only option. How old is your current machine? The intel graphics in the new 13" might not be far off what your dedicated GPU is capable of but you would need to be specific on what you have.

Either config at both 13" and 15" will be big upgrades (pending more info on GPU) but the i9 is poor value IMO, I also wouldn't go above 512gb on the internal drive unless you really really need it.

If you need that 8tb of storage then your only option is external, the internal drives are £LOL. Ignore the non-touch bar 13" models, it wasn't updated and is still a dual core.

Soldato
I’m under the impression that the touchbar one does weird stuff to the white balance?

It's the true tone display, just turn it off in settings/set up if you don't want it. I don't use it on my phone at all.

It has its uses though, especially if you use it directly before going to sleep. There is lots of evidence that the blue light can cause eye fatigue and issues with sleep but your mileage may vary.

It will be ten later this year early next year.

In that case I think we would be very safe in saying that any 13" or 15" model will be a very significant upgrade.

Even the integrated graphics in the new 13" will be a significant upgrade over the dedicated 9400M in your current machine.

Again I would ignore the non-touch bar model, its not great for the cash anymore and needs to go away or be updated to quad core.

Associate
It's the true tone display, just turn it off in settings/set up if you don't want it. I don't use it on my phone at all.

It has its uses though, especially if you use it directly before going to sleep. There is lots of evidence that the blue light can cause eye fatigue and issues with sleep but your mileage may vary.

In that case I think we would be very safe in saying that any 13" or 15" model will be a very significant upgrade.

Even the integrated graphics in the new 13" will be a significant upgrade over the dedicated 9400M in your current machine.

Again I would ignore the non-touch bar model, its not great for the cash anymore and needs to go away or be updated to quad core.
Either 13 or 15 would mean a smaller screen which I’d see as a downgrade.

Soldato
Ah it's the 17"? Must admit I loved my 17" MBP back when I had it, but back then I'd often be on the same site all day, so very little moving about. It was a bit hefty.

Associate
Yes it is, both a great machine and slightly hefty compared to the weight reductions of the 13 and 15 inch machines.

Saying that I can’t help but wonder if a new version in the same size could be both slightly lighter (in line with the other models) and offer sufficient cooling for the i9’s and still have space for various other useful features? Like another 2 drive bays in addition to the onboard storage, DCI 4K display and more comprehensive i/o ports.

A portable Mac Pro for location work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Given that there hasnt been a 17” for close to 6 years I think we are well beyond ‘what ifs’ at this point.

Buy a 15” or buy a 17” windows machine and be happy :)

Associate
Given that there hasnt been a 17” for close to 6 years I think we are well beyond ‘what ifs’ at this point.

Given that there was not a 17” for more than 6 years prior to introduction of said product I’m happy and a unnecessary, necessary unpaid voice.

But if in need of a new laptop i’ll just buy a 17” and stick in a couple of 4TB HDD and be above and beyond what I could buy now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Not trolling, just a different use case. It’s useful when presenting and no projector to hand or editing photos etc.
You could buy the base spec now and a couple of USB-C or TB3 SSD caddies and still weigh less than your brick.

The iGPU and dual core i5 would blow your 2010 (or older?) machine out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom