Changed mobo's and.....

Soldato
Hi,

I recently changed my mobo as this other one died...

I have a problem in that randomly the pc just restarts....

I dont know how or why could someone kindly help?

Specs:

amd 3500 newcastle
2 x 200g hdd
nvidia 4600 ti
pioneer dvd rw
350w psu
Win XP pro

Yesterday it restarted whilst I was transferring tunes from itunes to my ipod...

And also whilst I was playing GTA San Andreas.....

I dont know where to start looking perhaps one of you guys can help?

Please advise

Thanks in advance

Cheers!!!

Soldato
OP
it doesnt restart all the time just now and then......yes i have installed a fresh copy of windows...since saturday it has restarted twice....

voltages when under load 50 - 55 but remember its a amd 3500 newcastle which are reowned for running hot....

voltages when not under load 45 - 48

i was using the same psu with my other mobo but didnt have this problem then....

any ideas?

thanks for your response so far

Soldato
OP
woops erm will have to check and get back to you.....sorry lol

erm also i have installed speedfan...

I have an arctic pro 64 for the cpu and an additional vantec stealth cooling fan 80mm

When I open up speed fan it only reports 1 fan running at 1019rpm....

Before it used to tell me the RPM of both fans....does anyone know why this is...

Meanwhile I will get the volts and get back to you :)

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Voltages are as follows:

Taken From Bios:
CPU Core Voltage: 1.56V
DDR Voltage: 2.60V
12V 12.33V
5V 4.85V
3.3V 3.29V

Taken from everesthome:
+3.3V 3.3V
+5V 5.54V
+12V 4.05V

Also re: the heatsink fan (arctic pro 64) previously it used to spin at 2340rpm now all I get is 1140RPM as stated in the bios and everesthome....Why? Its not clogged up with dust and it is plugged in securely...

Please help me cure this problem

Thanks

Soldato
Is Cool and Quiet enabled in the bios of the new motherboard. If so disable it.

Ensure that the Arctic cooler is plugged into the correct CPU fan header on the board. Switch of any low fan speed warning / restart in the bios.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
will disable cool n quiet , the cooler is definately plugged in correctly and will disable low fan speed warning in the bios...

will get back to you shortly...

cheers

Associate
Hi, everest must be reporting the 12v wrong, as I seriously doubt the PC would still run, let alone reset itself if it is showing as 4.05 v, the BIOS is more closer, check speedfan to see what voltages you get with that or the mobo's own monitoring program from the CD or website.

Anthony

Soldato
OP
sure I have the mobo cd so will install the fan ultility and advise fan voltages..

what are you thinking? I mean are you suggesting there are too many volts or equally not enough which is causing the system to restart?

Please clarify...

thanks

Associate
Hi, What I am saying is that Everest is reporting your 12v rail on the PSU as 4.04, the 12v rail can have a 5 - 10% either side of 12v, so this would mean that Everest or a similar monitoring program would read your 12v rail as follows:

12v = 11.40 lowest I personally would expect it to read
12v = 12.60 Highest I personally would expect it to read.

Yours is saying it is running on 4.04 volts, which would be too low, which I don't think the PC would power up if that was the case anyway. The BIOS is more accurate I would say though, but really won't worry too much unless you can get a more accurate reading from another program or a multi-meter.

I would say that the RAM is a likely cause, as I had a P4 do this on me the other week of a friends PC the same as your, and it turned out to be RAM. It could have got damaged when the other mobo died. Run Memtest and see what it says.

Anthony

Back
Top Bottom