Changing architects

Soldato
Bit of background first, last September we had a small new architecture firm quote for us to do plans for our kitchen extension which would be covered by permitted development. We accepted the quote and he did some plans for us which he then liased with the council over. It went through as a pre app which we later found out wasn't required.

Fast forward 6 months and it doesn't feel like we're any further along, add to the fact that they won't return any of our calls or emails. So far we've paid them nothing as they have never invoiced us!

Are we within our rights to say sod off we'll find someone else and not suddenly receive an invoice through the door?

Soldato
OP
Check whatever you signed, I doubt anyone can answer this without seeing the T&Cs.

We used some online quote acceptance tool, so no physical signature. All the terms say is

A building regulation application is required with regular site visits.

The fees do not include any applications fees to local authorities or private building control contractor. Payment is required before submission.

A pre-application to confirm proposal is within permitted development rights, the fees do not include this application fee.

Soldato
Correct, check the T&C's of your appointment with them first.

I suspect they are well within their right to invoice you now for work done to date. I doubt any of their own appointment documents will say they won't invoice after x months.

Also check what the copyright status of the design is, and if it can be transferred to be used to another architect.

Soldato
They should have been RIBA registered so go to them, but I suspect yes you can just go to someone else.
Andi.
BTW if they aren't qualified and registered RIBA then they defrauding you.

Soldato
surely if they aren't providing the service the customer requires then the customer has every right to terminate any contract/agreement with them ?

It's probably worth writing to them and explaining that you intend to cancel the agreement with them if they don't respond/update within your given time frame (7 days ?)

Soldato
OP
They should have been RIBA registered so go to them, but I suspect yes you can just go to someone else.
Andi.
BTW if they aren't qualified and registered RIBA then they defrauding you.

Must admit never heard of RIBA before, doesn't look like home planning sw are registered as far as I can tell?

So don't go with anyone who isn't RIBA registered then?

Soldato
Must admit never heard of RIBA before, doesn't look like home planning sw are registered as far as I can tell?

So don't go with anyone who isn't RIBA registered then?

Wouldn't recommend it. If they are not registered, it could be any Joe Bloggs pretending to be an architect. Doesn't mean they will be bad, because maybe they trained abroad and never sought UK qualification or accreditation. But an accredited architect is a safer option. Legally, if not accredited, they must not even call themselves an architect.

The details and register here:
http://architects-register.org.uk/

With regards to post above, yes you can terminate an appointment with them, just need to make sure it gets done properly, formalised, agreed etc, as opposed to just assuming no contact = termination.

Man of Honour
If they are not qualified they are not legally allowed to advertise as Architects. Report them to RIBA who will take care of things.
Andi.

It is the Architects registration board who maintain the registration of qualified architects and deal with people fraudulently using the title of architect and not the RIBA.

You can be a qualified architect and not be a member of the RIBA, so long as you are on the registration board linked above.

Edit : looking at their website they appear to be advertising themselves as architectural designers and not specifically architects - unless they have advised the OP otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom