• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Changing CPU Difficulties ?

Associate
Fitted my Ryzen 5 3600 a few weeks ago, took about 1 hour.

I ran into one difficulty though, the backplate would keep falling off each time I turned my pc over to screw the heatsink in. So had to use some celotape to keep it in place temporarily until the heatsink was in.

Has anybody else had difficulties with back plates ? Thanks

Sorry but what do you mean by backplate? Keeps falling off nothing sould fall off if fitted right? And if it’s the cooler backplate and your using the push pin spite cooler and he backplate is not needed

I know what you mean but when I've put the motherboard components together I usually do it on top the motherboard box and that seems to hold the backplate on but I only found it would fall off if I was using the original cooler not the Wraith one as it uses the fittings that come on the boards

I ran into one difficulty though, the backplate would keep falling off each time I turned my pc over to screw the heatsink in. So had to use some celotape to keep it in place temporarily until the heatsink was in.

Yes, i had to use tape as well. Use tape when removing cooler also or might damage some at back of pcb.

I just lay the case flat and stick a hand underneath to hold it in place while I put the screws in. Hurts a bit with a case as heavy as the one I have resting on my arm though. It's much better to do it outside the case, but it's not worth removing the motherboard for if you're just swapping the CPU out in the same one.

I dont think there will be a problem either, provided the tape didn't take anything off the board with it when you took the tape off. I would assume you've done that though as selotape has a nasty habit of becoming more sticky & leaving residue on surfaces the longer you leave it on there.

Take a nice clean microfibre cloth. Fold it up so its about 1.5" thick, place it under the Mobo up against the backplate and lay your pc on its side.

Then do your work.

Provides more than enough counterforce even when screwing in the HSF screws...Works everytime, 5 minute job with the right prep.

If you're building the PC for the first time then you assemble everything with the motherboard sitting flat on the bench, desk etc. That hole in the mounting plate in the picture is for swapping cpu's in situ i.e. if you're swapping one for another on an already built PC so you don't have to take the entire motherboard out just to swap a cpu. Thats an innovation times gone past that hole didn't exist and remove the entire motherboard was the only option which is a major faff un-and-reconnecting all the cables, pins etc.

But for what you seem to to talking about assemble all the stuff on the motherboard first on the bench then put it in the case. Thats much easier.

I got simple solution cause same problem when I'm taking off waterblock. I just stick some xmas gifts catalogue or any other **** they drop in my letterbox, So it golds backplate against case with some prssure and sorted if you dont want to mess about with tape :D

Back
Top Bottom