Changing Web host - what issues I might face?

I've been with vidahost since time began and then forced to tsohost, all was fine but they've just done a server update and my service now is beyond slow with them, especially when sending emails from our online forms, it's just painful to do anything.

I messaged them before about a different issue and it took over a week to get a reply, long gone from instant online chat.

So I'm changing, but I've never done this before.

First is it stable point others recommend on here? Or another provider?

Secondly, how does it work when you have various domains, all expiring different times, all using the same hosting package?

Do I just swap host and then move the domains one by one?

As my hosting package has some time left, am I able to request refund for unspent usage, or just accept the wasted cost to at least move to a new provider?

Soldato
I've been with vidahost since time began and then forced to tsohost, all was fine but they've just done a server update and my service now is beyond slow with them, especially when sending emails from our online forms, it's just painful to do anything.

I messaged them before about a different issue and it took over a week to get a reply, long gone from instant online chat.

So I'm changing, but I've never done this before.

Secondly, how does it work when you have various domains, all expiring different times, all using the same hosting package?

As my hosting package has some time left, am I able to request refund for unspent usage, or just accept the wasted cost to at least move to a new provider?
How technically minded are you? If you can handle Linux yourself then I would highly recommend Linode.

Edit:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How technically minded are you? If you can handle Linux yourself then I would highly recommend Linode.

Edit:

Thanks

I made my own site completely myself (www.mayercleaning.co.uk) but I've never done anything with Linux and wouldn't want to have to spend more time on learning something like that

Caporegime
I recommend maxer.

Changing host, and changing domain provider needn't be the same thing, so you can port everything to the same host and then switch domains as they come up.

What issues you face depends on what exactly you're running.

Soldato

The domains need to be pointed at your hosting server via DNS configuration.

Keeping domains active is a separate issue to your hosting. You can hold the domains at any domain name registration company and renew them with that company, you just need need to configure their DNS to point at your hosting.

Domains can also be transferred from one registration company to another, but this is not a necessity when changing hosting. It would just be done for service/cost reasons.

Normally you are just paying monthly for hosting and you just cancel. If you have paid a year in advance it may not be refundable, check your T&Cs.

Here's a list of hosting companies for your research. I'm with Clook and they are good. UKHost4U might also be worth considering. Catalyst2 are reasonable for Windows hosting.

If anyone knows of other hosting companies worth adding to the list, let me know.

Allhost
Amazon Web Services
Bluehost
catalyst2
Clook
eUKhost
GoDaddy UK
Heart Internet
Hostgator
Hostinger
Hyve
Krystal