Charge

Associate
On average, what would you say is the average amount a basic website (3-4 pages) would cost to make using Bootstrap with most of the pages just being text with an image gallery and contact form?

Soldato
How long is a piece of string. It depends on many factors, not least of all is your skill level.

Personally I break down the spec in to tasks; eg. onboarding, user registration, login, reset password, change password, profile editor, avatar upload etc. Then I estimate hours for those tasks. Then I take my hourly rate an multiply the two together and add a bit for contingency.

Also, if you're doing this for a third party client, make sure you spec out exactly how many hours work you will do for spec changes, and how many hours support you include, and the ongoing support hourly rate. I've seen too many freelancers bitten because they didn't let the client know that support is not indefinite, and spec changes will cost extra.

Also note that you'll need some server-side code to handle the contact form for you. Bootstrap is only a front-end library.

Last edited:
Associate
OP, lets make the assumption that you're going to use HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, PHP and probably JS (for the contact form and the image gallery).

Suddenly your "basic" website (that's if you're not using pre-built forms) becomes a fairly time consuming project.

The best thing to do is take your average hourly rate, estimate the time you think it will take you to develop the 4 pages (say each page takes you 4 hours, multiply 4 x £25.00, then multiply this by 4 again). Once you've got your base cost, you add in on top for testing of your forms, any charges you may incur for hosting, domain names etc if they haven't already covered it.

This will give you a rough idea of what you want to be charging for the website but never, ever just assume it's going to be an average, basic website or let the customer tell you that the website is just a basic one with a few forms and a contact page. That's how you end up with underpaying jobs and overbearing timescales.

Good luck!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

FYI - this is the most basic website I've done so far, 12hrs development time logged, charged £350 inc domain registration and 1st years hosting.

Permabanned
On average, what would you say is the average amount a basic website (3-4 pages) would cost to make using Bootstrap with most of the pages just being text with an image gallery and contact form?

How good are you?
How long does it take you?
Have you got example sites?
What would you like to charge?
Do you need to do websites for a side income?
How old are you?
What do you want from life?

Back
Top Bottom