Charlie Tek me a Server!

Associate
Morning all, been asked to draw up a quick spec for a few new servers that will be used on a small site we have taken over. I usally wouldn't have anything to do with new servers being built but the guy who we use to sort them out has retired so it's now my job!

I'll be honest, I don't have much knowladge about hardware used for servers, I will list the main applications of the servers and my general ideas.

Need to build 2 new servers, server A will be a main server and server B a back-up. Builds for both servers will be identical, arround 40 users will be useing the server most days. The server will handle:

*Email (running mDeamon)
*Anti-Virus updates for the network (useing remote AVG remote admin)
*File storage holding arround 30GB worth of files
*Handle Tape or other media back-ups done every day
*Be the main Domain server

As we want the servers to be used for about 5 years before thinking about upgradeing again something a little overkill for the current situation would be desired without wasteing money. It will be running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Budget of arround £2000 for each server not includeing software. I have NO clue on what sort of HDD array to use, bearing in mind it will need to be totally backed-up onto tape or other media reguarly. (whats the best thing to handle approx 30GB of data?)

Thanks All!

Back
Top Bottom