• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cheap and cheerful card.

Soldato
I'm currently running an early Radeon HD6850 which has served me well enough for my needs. I recently picked up X-Com2 in the Steam sale and the card is struggling a little.

So without me having to spend days reading reviews what would be a reasonable upgrade on a tight budget (£120max) or at that money would I simply not get any real improvement??

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Cheers peeps.

Though I usually stick to new kit, my rig is getting a little long in the tooth and I can't see the point in spending a lot of money it. Thanks for the pointers, it's saved me having to trawl through reviews trying to catch up on what's out there. I tend to only read-up when it's upgrade time. I'll certainly have a look at the RX460 if it comes in at that money and gives a decent step-up in performance. Likewise I will keep my eye's peeled on MM just in case anything pops up.

Thanks again, much appreciated..:)

Soldato
OP
I guess pretty much anything will be a step up over my aging HD6850. It's just a case of trying to eek out a little more life out of my current setup, I'm simply not in a position to dive in and re-new the whole ring as much as I'd like to. I'm not a big gamer anyway so it's up to the job for most things but it is starting to feel is age, as newer games push-on as they do.

I guess I'm a fish out of water in this forum as I tend to only start reading up and looking at specs when I do a new build, in-between I forget all about it and become woefully out of date on what the current sweet spots are.

In no rush, I'll keep my eye on MM and if something pops up I may well snuffle it up. As I've mentioned it's only down to me picking up X-Com2 in the recent sale that made me realise my build is now "lacking" First time I've heard my card spool it's fan up to "warp speed" since I've had it.:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks again for all the pointers.

I had a very brief scan of the interweb this morning for the 460, as yet I've not really seen any supply, though I expect that will change over the coming days. I spotted our friends here at OCUK have RX470 at £165, on a Sapphire card which looks a good deal. Hopefull that price may shift a little more on the arrival of the 460. Depending on what price the 460 pops up at it may be a good enough card for my needs, even though it may not be a "cracker" for the money, it should be good-enough.

I'm in no rush, I will try and keep an eye on MM for a 7970. I have a Corsair CX850 PSU so it should be man enough for the card change.

Soldato
OP
RX 460's have just popped up on OC, pre-order, cheapest being £99.95

Having listened to what fold have to say I and looked at the specs, the 470 does look a better bet, albeit a little more than I wanted to pay (£164) can't see them sitting much above £150 for too long.

I should have added I may be restricted by the type of graphics port on my board, I need to check exactly what it is as my motherboard is knocking on a bit now. (edit: just checked it's PCI-E X16, so should be OK)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom