Cheap DAC or pay more?

Soldato
Has anyone got any experience of using one of the cheap £15-£20 Digital Audio Converters? Or should I be looking more at what the Hi fi websites recommend costing £150 upwards.

We have a new TV arriving tomorrow and there is only a digital audio out and no headphone jack or other audio out. Unfortunately my hi-fi is a little vintage and I only have coax and din inputs. An example photo of the back of it for info!
28PckUH.jpeg

The DAC would be for the TV audio only, probably just for films and when we have music concerts on. I currently have my music in flac format on a cheap music player that is doing the converting and to my ears it sounds pretty good (although the line out port only works sometimes :( )

The need for a more expensive DAC might lead me on to a new amplifier instead, a remote control for things other than CDs would be great!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have never heard of that brand and the Ultra seems to be a great box of tricks. It seems to fit in to try to replace my pre amp as above but with a big emphasis on streaming music as well. Unfortunately with it just having one analog input I would have to choose between having the FM, CD player or my MP3(flac) player plugged in.
Reading up on it a little suggests the input sensitivity of my power amp is half that of the output from the Wiim Ultra so I would get full power from the amp at a much lower volume volume level of this pre amp.
It is good to see technology is moving quickly with these devices and there now seems to be affordable audio kit across even more and lower price points. Perhaps concerning for established brands is that the new brands can come out with a new product using the newer Sabre chipset which seems to be able to handle higher bit rates whilst the existing established manufacturers keep products going for longer.
Unfortunately aesthetically and probably in terms of touch and feel the Wiim either through its own controls or the phone will not have the feel or occasion of using the older hi fi. (Although the tactile nature has its downsides and little hands here have played with the volume and filer controls this week and I have no idea where they were set before!)

I am probably going down a different route. “My” hi fi is only on extended loan from my father and he has suggested a swap with an integrated amp he has but isn’t using much which has the optical input. It might all be moot anyway as with the TV mounted to the wall I cannot reach to fit a cable in so that will be a lot of work just to plug it in!

Back
Top Bottom