"Cheap" Gaming Laptop

Associate
I'm looking for a Gaming Laptop for my Daughter to use.

She mostly plays Roblox which I think will run on a potato, but also Fortnite.

Budget is upto £1k although I'd stretch it for a 30 series card that I can experiment with some mining on while she's not using it.

Associate
OP
Well I'm ashamed to say that no matter how much I tried to ignore the aesthetics in favour of value, I couldn't quite pull the trigger on the Asus. It just seemed a bit cheap looking/feeling.

I ended up with a Razer Blade 15 2020 Advanced model with a 2070 Super Max-Q for £1199. I figured it was similar performance to the 3060 model at £999 but in a much nicer package.

Caporegime
Well I'm ashamed to say that no matter how much I tried to ignore the aesthetics in favour of value, I couldn't quite pull the trigger on the Asus. It just seemed a bit cheap looking/feeling.

I ended up with a Razer Blade 15 2020 Advanced model with a 2070 Super Max-Q for £1199. I figured it was similar performance to the 3060 model at £999 but in a much nicer package.

Razer stuff is nice their cheaper stuff seems to offer much better value than the £2k+ stuff. Build quality is supposed to be one of the best and better than Alienware for the money. It's not cheap though your paying a lot of money for a chassis in some cases and unless you get a good deal usually worth just buying a Lenovo equivalent is better option.

The looks of the razer is amazing though. I've recently started buying their keyboards and mice.

Associate
The TUF isn't very good, the thermals are really high to the point the 3060 barely bests the 1066ti laptops.

We have the same budget, amd for a grand I cant see a better value gaming laptop than the legion 5, ryzen, 16gb RAM, and 1660ti, benchmarks put only a couple of FPS behind the 2060 and 3060, amd its hundreds of pounds cheaper.

Soldato
Buying a gaming laptop is an absolute minefield. At least with a desktop you can just pick a GPU knowing there’ll only be a few frames difference between different models of that same GPU. With gaming laptops it’s really hard to find what is going to perform well and it doesn’t help when manufacturers have twenty different configurations of what is seemingly the same product.

Back
Top Bottom