Cheap laptop for coding - refurbished or new?

Associate
Hi all, I have a quick question that you all may be able to help me with. I am about to embark on a coding course and I want to buy a laptop for this. Languages will be HTML5&CSS, JavaScript and Python. I will also be looking into MySQL, C++ as well between now and then.

I have been out of the hardware game for a while now (built my PC about 4 years ago) and have never really done Laptops. I have been surprised how many cheaper laptops are on the market nowadays for new; I thought that they would start at around £700 but am surprised to see some retailing for around £250-£300 which seem pretty decent for what I want to do.

I was looking at getting a refurbished laptop as I thought they would be cheaper, so now I am stuck not knowing what would be the best idea. The refurbished laptops I have been looking at are from around 2013/2015 and have looked at these two:

** I’m afraid this still classed as competitor link *8

How would these compare with a modern cheap laptop such as this one:

I am guessing that all of these would be fine for what I want to do, however which has more power and what would be my best bet.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I picked up a laptop with a 3500u 8gb dual memory and 256gb Ssd for about £380 on sale. Used it to make a 2d game in C# and it has rendered some modelled hotel room designs in 3ds max quite nicely.
It's alright for some light gaming too with its vega 8. Got GTA 5 to run at 60fps on low/medium settings at 768p. Knocks the socks of any Intel Igpu you'd get for 380 quid.

Back
Top Bottom