Cheap or expensive 55'' 4K TV?

Associate
I have a dilemma. We current have a Sony 40'' 1080P TV which is perfectly fine, but now to small for the room after moving house (old lounge was long and thin, new one is pretty much square with TV on one side and sofa on the other).

Having sized it up, 55 inches looks about right in size but I can't work out if I should go for a cheaper 4K screen (say £750) with a view to swapping in 2 years or a more expensive one (maybe £1200, maximum I suspect I'd be allowed to spend) and keep it for much longer.

At the moment I don't have much in the way of 4K content (no 4K blue ray player or 4K games), but it would be nice to watch F1 races in 4K (I have the right sky q box) and I may upgrade my Netflix account if there are enough things I want to watch in 4K.

My thinking was if the tech is still evolving then buy a cheaper one now and upgrade later to ensure it works with new standards would be one way, but if the HDR standards are becoming settled then I could get a more expensive one now safe in the knowledge that while the tech will improve each year I won't miss out on compatibility with the main standards and be left stranded.

I'd love an OLED screen but permission for the cost won't be granted, partly because I just spent all our money moving house!

Any thoughts gratefully received

Soldato
I did not realise you could still pick up warrantied ks7000, cheapset ever was ~£850 ?
.. As I wrote in is 49" stupid thread - I would go for 58dx750 which are still coming through genuine Pan refurb shop circa £600!

Associate
OP
Can't find the KS7000 @55 inch for less than £950 and the warranty doesn't seem great. Not sure that ticks the 'cheap' box for me.

Hisense could be interesting - anyone got one and can say what they are like?

Soldato
Buy a Hisense 55" 4k tv and use it for a few years. Then when 4k has matured grab a oled.
I have to agree with this. The premium for real HDR is still a lot. Pick up the Hisense and let the prices fall for the better brands.

I'm planning the same i got a 55" 4k Philips PUS6401 (supports HDR but it's not a 10 bit panel ) as my 1080p TV broke.

It cost £560 Vs minimum of £1000 for a proper HDR one.

Yeah sure the proper HDR ones are going to be supperiour but you will be able to buy another one for under £600 in 2 years

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps. Lots to consider. Found a cheap source for the Panasonic one mentioned as well. Sounds like cheaper for now is the route to go at the moment

Associate
i moved from panasonic plasma to lg oled 55c6v miles difference and worth the change £1489.00.
like yourself nothing wrong with my tv except age, the upgrade to the lg was like stepping into the 21st century :)

Soldato
I think the brightest tv with great backlighting and a reasonable size to price ratio is the 2017 sony X93. 49" for £1500 but if you wait 3 months it will drop to £1200 like last years did. I bought last years 8 series for £1500 and wish I'd got this years 9 series slightly smaller but 3 times brighter and with dolby vision added to the 2 hdr types mine does.

Soldato
[..could have added to 4k player thread - but since i mentioned dolby vision earlier]

on dolby vision do not seem to be any 'good' reviews of dv benefit on despicable me 2 - the first dv discs
a few words on forbes
and compaints that they forgot about about dv in blue-ray.com review
screen comparisons would be good
[had not realised dv is not yet on xbox one s or ks7000 afaik]

Back
Top Bottom