Cheap Router as Wireless Repeater?

Associate
Hello

I am looking for a solution to extend my house’s wifi into my girlfriend’s house across the street which has no Internet Subscription.

Currently, you can get Wifi on her room, close to the window, but obviously it’s a weak signal.

In order to improve the signal I want to add a Cheap Router in Her house, close to the window, to act as a Wireless Repeater. My home router works at 2.4ghz bands.

Would this be a decent/cheap solution to at least have a better coverage on her room? If so, which router should I get or what should I look for?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Can you run a cable from your router to a window that sees a window in her house? If so then you can use something like a pair of Ubiquiti nanostations which, pointed at each other, will act as if you’ve run an Ethernet cable into her house. Then you can add any old router acting as an Access Point in her house and it’ll be feeding off your internet.

To be honest I don’t think you want to have the router acting as an extender if you go down that route. It’ll halve the already weak signal doing the repeating. If you get one to act as a bridge to just receive the signal then hang an Access Point off it in her house I think it will be better. Most of the TP-Link stuff I’ve used can act as a bridge and an extender, so try one in extender mode first - it might be OK. I have a TL-WA901ND and it does both for less than £30

Associate
I've seen tomato-based firmware used in routers to act in bridging mode for this exact situation.

You can also use pringles cans to act as directional antennae on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom