Cheap seeds online, anywhere?

Stocking up on seeds for the allotment and there seems to be a real disparity between online and the cheaper shops (wilco etc)

All the seeds I can find online seem to be more like ticket/RRP price, and yet you can pickup seeds at 20-30% of that in places like wilco the range etc

It just seems odd as most things are the opposite, online cheaper.

Its only me being lazy wanting to avoid having to go round shops, but it does add up when buying loads, when seemingly there is a massive markup on these things which seems to be invisible online.

Saying that in general seeds are silly expensive. I can buy a punnet of good tomatos (with seeds in them) for the same price as a packet of seeds for the same variety. The punnet will have 5x or so the seeds contained in the fruit. same with chilies etc, buy the dried chillies and get 5-10x the seeds, and all the chillies.

So, anyone got any cheap online seed suppliers they have found.
I quite like premier seeds, they are reasonably cheap, but we still picked up some of the same items over the weekend at a fraction what they charge for the same seeds.

Caporegime
just use the ones from supermarket from the vegetable / fruit itself.

buy some chillies. dry the chilli out in an oven on a very low heat like 40C for an hour or two.

then germinate from the dried chilli.

unsure how it works for tomatoes.

Soldato
btw aldi seeds are really good its 99p or 1.99 and u get so many different seeds.
they wont be in the shop yet though

Associate
Get on the local allotment/growers facebook group, you will soon have more seeds than you know what to do with.

The only thing with that is you're not guaranteed the quality (or even specific type) of seed you want.
If for example I wanted some tomatoes of a specific type and got a pack of seeds, I wouldn't definately know what I had bought until they grew.
I go to Premierseeds on ebay, piece of mind really for me (I trust the print on the packet :D) and easy just to click and buy via ebay!

Will be most of my normals,
Going to try onion from seed rather than setts this year
Going to try using some of my remaining shallots to see if they will spread but also some seeds
Garlic from my now 4th generation supermarket recycled ones
Runners, probably french beans
2-3 Radish
Some chillis, not 100% sure yet
2-3 types of lettuce
Cucumber
Parsnips, 2 varieties
Brussels
2 Cabbage
Cucamelon
3-4 Tomatos (gardeners delight, big tom, giantomo, plus 1 possibly)
American land cress
Sweetcorn
Sweetcorn for popcorn
Mini sweetcorn, probably

Then
Apples
Blackberries
Strawberries
Blackcurrant
Gooseberry (green and red)
Rhubarb (technically a veg)
Plum maybe, I may take this tree down yet

Think thats the main
Seeds I am looking for are the lettuce, onion etc that you cant salvage yourself realistically, plus a new chilli type

We actually get discounted seeds from one of the big suppliers, but even then they are cheaper in the discount shops, its really odd how they can be so cheap

Back
Top Bottom