Cheapest cpu to update bios ?

Associate
I need a cpu do update the bios on my asus strix x570-i to use with my new 5900x as the board has no bios flashback ,wondering what the cheapest option is on Amazon

Last edited:
Soldato
Given the state of stock in most places at the moment I'm not sure I'd want to source a CPU just to flash a board.

Do you have any local PC shops? If so give them a ring and ask if they'd be willing to flash the board for you for a fee.

Associate
OP
Given the state of stock in most places at the moment I'm not sure I'd want to source a CPU just to flash a board.

Do you have any local PC shops? If so give them a ring and ask if they'd be willing to flash the board for you for a fee.
Yea I already asked 3 shops near me and they all can't help me ... amd have a "cpu boot kit "option too but they want me to email asus first for written confirmation from them than I needs the boot kit and also give receipts for everything which I don't think I even have any more and photos,seems like a big paij even if I had everything to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought the 570 was the all singing all dancing board. My 550 let's you flash the bios with nothing but the board, psu and usb stick.

Associate
OP
What happens if you put the newer CPU in does it not boot at all or will it boot enough to let you update the bios. Just curious never had this situation.
I don't actually have the ram yet to try at all its still on the way but I'm pretty definite it just won't boot at all with the new cpu

Associate
OP
Anybody you no sho has a ryzen cpu ?

You can request an upgrade kit from AMD
One guy I'm friends with but it's his main rig and he's rightly hesitant to lend me it also o already emailed amd the boot kit isn't really an option for me I think ,They want receipts and stuff I don't think I have any more aswell as an email from asus to me saying I need it ,seems like a pain to get imo

Man of Honour
One guy I'm friends with but it's his main rig and he's rightly hesitant to lend me it also o already emailed amd the boot kit isn't really an option for me I think ,They want receipts and stuff I don't think I have any more aswell as an email from asus to me saying I need it ,seems like a pain to get imo
Buy a 3100 and then return it within 14 days.

Soldato
Is the motherboard brand new or do you already have it?

If you've only just bought it there's a chance it already has the most recent bios in line for the Zen 3 launch.

Associate
OP
Is the motherboard brand new or do you already have it?

If you've only just bought it there's a chance it already has the most recent bios in line for the Zen 3 launch.
yea i just got it but unless it was manufactured in october i think it wont have the new bios so i am very doubtful it does

Soldato
yea i just got it but unless it was manufactured in october i think it wont have the new bios so i am very doubtful it does

It will probably tell you on the box.

Fingers crossed it works for you, I'm genuinely shocked at Asus for not including bios flashback on such a board. Under normal circumstances I'd advise you return the board for something else, but there's not a lot of choice when it comes to ITX to begin with unfortunately, let alone right now with all the stock problems.

Worst comes to worst maybe source a second hand 2200G or something?

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

Or if you can find anything in stock you could return it within the standard time frame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom