Cheapest way to get prints / decals onto acrylic

Soldato
Hi chaps. I could use some help.

I'm making an IO panel for my desk. It's white acrylic with shamfered edges, and cutouts for the connectors. I want a small, corresponding symbol beneath each port. I've made the symbols in GIMP, but can learn to vector them if necessary.

They're dark grey stylistic icons, with a light grey, thick border. Shockingly original, I know.

I think my options are:
  1. Find sticker set that's suitable (no luck yet)
  2. Bodge something half-way decent
  3. Have vinyl decals printed (expensive?)
  4. Buy a vinyl printer / cutter (expensive?)
I'm guessing I'm stuck with either option 1 or 2.

So, how in the hell am I going to do this? How would you produce a set of IO port labels, for super cheap?

It's little projects like this that are keeping me going at the moment, so I'd really appreciate any guidance you can offer. Even if it includes a threat to poo in my mailbox.

Update 1. So it's going to cost £15 per design for buying vinyl stickers. I am not dropping £75 a few tiny sticky labels :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm genuinely blown away guys. It's been a rough ride for quite quite a while, and seeing people come together to offer their own time and resources for such a silly little project has blown my mind. Thank you all, very much.

I haven't made the panel yet, my guess is it'll be no more than 100mm x 50mm. I'll be fixing to the desk surface, probably by adding shoulders / brackets and dropping it into a hole.

I've done this sort of thing before. I'll trace the hole, drill it, then hand file with a very small set of files. If you use a hardened straight edge then results can be more than adequate.

The two tone material you've discussed I'm very aware of, it's a clever idea. When I worked we sold into HVAC panel builders and they used to use this exact material, engraving or lasering past the first layer to produce clear and accurate labels and diagrams. It's a superb idea I didn't think of.

Tonight I'll upload a picture of the first pass I've made for the symbols, with approximate dimensions. I'll also download inkscape and have a go at making vectors, my guess is by importing and tracing said symbols. Given the size I want them, I may need to simplify the designs.

Thank you all again for the offers, really. I'll get back to you tonight and see how you think we can proceed.

Soldato
OP
Apologies for the delay, I've been rather poorly. Here's the first pass of the logos, they'll be about 10mm tall at the most I'd say. The outline is the only cut.

I've not been able to use the PC much, but I'll give vectors a go soon.

Icons-beta2.png

USB3, USB-C, HDMI, Fast Charging (type A). I may do Display Port too. I'm going to have to sell my VR headset, but will buy another as soon as I can afford it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks again for the responses chaps.

I'll do my proposal drawing for the panel, then I'll read through all your awesome replies properly.

Patch-Panel.jpg

That's an idea of what it would look like engraved onto plastic.
Could'nt use your icons so I grabbed random ones off google.

Happy to drop one in the post with your icons if you can make them a single solid colour + supply panel dimensions. The cut outs are 18mmx7mm
Or you have other options above, from other OcUk'rs.
We got you covered :)

This is phenomenal, I'm very grateful mate. Could you do it on white plastic?

I'll work on the panel drawing and get something put together. From reading others replies, I think this may be the best method.

Thank you all again for the input, very much.

Soldato
OP
Blue is the only colour I have in this plastic :(
Don't feel rushed to make any plans/drawings :)

Things like this take literately seconds on a laser.
The only hard part is having the materials to suit the project. White is something I have never carried.

hhmm maybe I could spray a thin piece of wood white and engrave that, oh the possibilities :D

How would you feel about me posting you a piece of white perspex / acrylic? I've found some on eBay that I could have delivered cheaper than I could post mine.

The other option is that two layer material. I swear my clients used to call it trafilite, but I can't find it readily available anyway. The annoying thing is if I was still working one of them would happily give me a cut off!

Soldato
OP
Wanton_1.JPG

Printed and cut a sample earlier. No issues with the size of cutting. Will post an image later once I upload it somewhere.

Those look absolutely incredible man. Cannot believe how much effort people have out in for this.

I'll upload drawings and finals ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom