• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check my processor/mobo/ram bundle please? Upgrading from 4670k

Associate
OP
Plenty of people here will help you overclock that Ryzen chip, they only really go to around 3.9ghz, 4ghz if you get really lucky. But you should be able to hit 3.9ghz with decent cooling on a 1700x. What you are getting is future proofing, while we are only on the start of more games using more cores, it is happening, take BF1 for example, it will happily chug through cores if you have them.

The higher the resolution you go the more you rely on your GPU, obviously your CPU needs to feed it but your becoming more GPU bound as you go up in res.

I wont lie, the 7700k is probably a better chip for single threaded stuff currently, but the fact that MMORPGs generally run ok on most setups means the 7700k is kinda overkill really, the Ryzen chips are equally as good, go seek some benchmark vids on Youtube, this guys running WoW on a 1700X with everything on max bar a couple of settings that notoriously cripple perf, he has a 1080 also and getting 70+ FPS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq8nPT_TlsQ

So yeah Ryzen will keep you happy in MMO's no problems, my brother has a Ryzen 1700 and plays PoE pretty much exclusively, and he raves about how good that chip is, although he came from a 2500k lol, but its still an i5.

Haha, I've been watching some benchmarks and that and If I can make this old hunk of junk stretch I think it may be worth waiting for the I7 8700K as it's performance seems blistering in both aspects, while I do love the idea of the Ryzen waiting that bit of extra time if I can, I could put some more cash away and push a better mobo/ram combo.

Soldato
Always said that, I decided to do this before the TI, but to be frank I haven't found anything my GPU can't really handle, I have the G1 trirad edition and it's amazing.

2560x1440 should be easy for the 1080. My R9 290X is still just about holding out at that res.

Associate
That 1080 should tide you over until Volta if you wanted something more powerful, SLI/CF just doesn't really make that much sense nowadays, not to mention you have to rely on devs & nvidia for games to properly support it.

Soldato
That 1080 should tide you over until Volta if you wanted something more powerful, SLI/CF just doesn't really make that much sense nowadays, not to mention you have to rely on devs & nvidia for games to properly support it.

Well it's not like Nvidia haven't got the money or engineers to throw behind it. Dual graphics make sense when you can pick up a discounted and get a nice boost.

TBH it will probably be many years before 2560x1440 is causing a 1080 problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's not like Nvidia haven't got the money or engineers to throw behind it. Dual graphics make sense when you can pick up a discounted and get a nice boost.

With the state of SLI and Xfire nowadays this is the only scenario i would bother, if an offer came up too cheap to pass up, otherwise its just not worth the hassle, the fact AMD havent even bothered with Xfire drivers for Vega and Nvidia arent exactly pushing SLI nowadays speaks volumes.

Single card is always less hassle, lets be honest, a 1080ti is probably going to smash 99% of stuff @ 1440p right now.

Soldato
With the state of SLI and Xfire nowadays this is the only scenario i would bother, if an offer came up too cheap to pass up, otherwise its just not worth the hassle, the fact AMD havent even bothered with Xfire drivers for Vega and Nvidia arent exactly pushing SLI nowadays speaks volumes.

Single card is always less hassle, lets be honest, a 1080ti is probably going to smash 99% of stuff @ 1440p right now.

DX12 and Vulcan should see both cards as one and games should just work. In DX11 as long the engine the game is based on has an SLI profile you should be able to run SLI.

But at 2560x1440 thats an issue for another time.

Soldato
Haha, I've been watching some benchmarks and that and If I can make this old hunk of junk stretch I think it may be worth waiting for the I7 8700K as it's performance seems blistering in both aspects, while I do love the idea of the Ryzen waiting that bit of extra time if I can, I could put some more cash away and push a better mobo/ram combo.

Wait as long as you can. The 8700K looks like it will be the new 5820K and I think if it overclocks well we should see a couple of rounds of price drops. I also think chips like the X6950 will tumble in price and X99 might see a resurgence.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah as everyone has said now - wait if you can or get Ryzen. I also notice from your comments, you seem to be looking at pure clock speed - you need to consider IPC as well (instructions per clock, how much it gets done per clock) - because they are different architectures - its not a direct comparison - intel may still in SOME areas have better IPC with higher clocks, but in others, it just doesn't, Ryzen is almost as fast yet 1ghz slower - they chips design have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Back
Top Bottom