Chessington world of adventures

Associate
Went there today with my wife and son, had a thoroughly good family day out.

The new(ISH) Jumanji ride is very good, the other rides are entertaining.

However there are many areas of the park that is run down and needs some money spending, and to me it appears there's a lack of direction within the park. I went a few times as a kid, and the last time we went was 1997, I was 12 years old and I seemed to remember everything being much better, the theming much better, the correlation between the different areas worked together better, the park had more of a buzz about it (though I admit this buzz is most likely 12 year old me rose tinted specs)

https://youtu.be/jORYon3Xrqw?si=G9B-rnY5lw_ExjkE

I initially put it down to rose tinted glasses, and it may still be the case.

But the bubble works for instance, it's been really themed as the gruffalo, it's very nice the smells are great, it it was missing that extra bit, there was significantly less animation and things to look at, but the quality of the decor was abysmal also, I know it's just a ride, but when you've got a light blue backdrop with bright lights shining on it, you'd think to fill and tape the edges of the plasterboard and screw holes,

Croc drop is nowhere near as quality as ramases revenge was.

The re-design of terror tomb to a shooting laser tag, is ok, but again loses many of the animation elements and storyline that made it great. This incidentally is also now looking very run down, same as the log flume still good, not as good as it was but also very run down. Vampire ride still amazing, I hope they never get rid, but understand it has an operational lifespan so likely will be replaced at some point, it still has the same feeling as old but once again it's very run down, there's a common theme here, essentially everything is quite run down, even croc drops souvenir shop was cleared out and emptied and this ride was only implemented in 2019.

Having found a video on YouTube from back in 97 the park seemed much better kept and the rides a higher quality confirming it's not just rose tinted 12 year old me.

Anyhoo as I said, still had lots of fun and tbh that's what we went there for and thus the money was well spent and suppose really I can't grumble, it's just a shame In my opinion that there seems to be ever more cost cutting and visible cost cutting, yet at the same time trying to prise more money from ones coughers.

My boy loves them parks but need to be careful of age and height, he prefers rides the scarier the better, hates kiddies rides and thought Chessington was the next up from Lego land. Next summer will be thorpe park.

Though we are going to port Aventura at end of the month as the tickets came free with the holiday, just need the boy to grow 2cm between now and then so can go on the rides.

There's no question or anything within this, just thought I'd share an experience and see if others have the same or similar

Last edited:
Can’t believe they’ve still got the Vampire. That things been there since the Stone Age!
Yeah, it's looking worse for ware now though, it had an upgrade in 2002, according to Wikipedia.

Needs some real work on it now though, still a top ride for thrills though

Last edited:
I've never been to Chessington, but I did always want to go on Rameses Revenge when I was a teen.

Unless that was another park?

Yep your right was at Chessington, there were similar rides at other parks at the time, but I think ramases was the only one that held you in position and got you soaked, think it might have been the only one that spun the seating separately to the out riggers aswell.

In the 00s the group changed their demographics for the parks and moved some of the high adrenline rides to Thorpe instead. Chessington is really a pre-teen / kiddy park these days and Thorpe is where the thrill rides are based.

Went there many times in the past as it was the closest theme park to us, and I spend a day there in 1996 with friends whilst on GCSE study leave. The place was empty, we sat on the rides without getting off for ages. I think we did the Vampire ride 25+ times. Good times :)

Back
Top Bottom