Chest Freezer tips?

Soldato
Hi folks,

Reasonably bought a chest freezer as my wife is about to pop (pregnant). We have "Cooks" meals nearby which are like Charlie Bingham. Planning on loading it full to make dinner easy.

But remember lots of old folk seem to love these things - what goes in them? It is huge. At the moment all I am thinking of is Callipos.

Any reduced packaged bread you find with a day or two on its use-by date will be fine for a couple extra days and normally survives pretty well after freezing. Bonus it takes up a good bit of space so you don't need to spend money on things actually worth freezing like whole pigs.
:cry:

Can I put good dated loaf in here for longer than that? I am quite anti soggy bread, does it defrost ok?

Mother in law when it all gets a bit too much.

They're great when batch cooking when you need an ingredient for a recipe which is enough for 16 portions and you wouldn't use it anywhere else. Also if you find the kids get attached to a certain type of chicken dinosaur or potato shape which is only available from one supermarket you can get a months worth to avoid potential meltdowns if they're out of stock on the next trip. Biggest risk there is if the child decides they no longer like dinosaurs and want chicken rockets instead.
Trip to Costco may be on the cards then.

---------

What's the crack with stuff I buy fresh like chicken, mince etc? Is it just as good frozen? I see those bags of breasts and vom a bit in my mouth. Am I just being childish/of my generation?

I do 6 months of 3 meals a week food prep and shove in our chest freezer. We have a fortnightly food diary (saturdays off) based around the slow cooker. Anything that can't be slow cooked doesn't make the menu. Massive savings on time and money overall to be honest. Helps with a very busy household.
Anything you can share diary-wise? Seems ideal.

Back
Top Bottom