**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

maj

maj

Soldato
Noticed I couldn't make outgoing calls on my mi5 the past few days. I could receive calls, send and receive texts fine. Basically do everything except outgoing calls. Whilst I was busy moving from Three back to EE, I decided to have both SIMs in so that if people got in touch I'd know either way. Anyway Three cancelled SIM when my PAC was successful and so I removed the SIM from my phone. I then noticed that I couldn't make the calls so popped into my local EE store and after waiting ages finally spoke to someone and their suggestion was either to try a SIM swap or it's a fault with the phone. Got home and out of interest I tried swapping what SIM slot my EE SIM was using and lo and behold, as soon as I moved into to the other slot I could make calls. Anyone know why the other slot would stop me being able to make calls?

Associate
Noticed I couldn't make outgoing calls on my mi5 the past few days. I could receive calls, send and receive texts fine. Basically do everything except outgoing calls. Whilst I was busy moving from Three back to EE, I decided to have both SIMs in so that if people got in touch I'd know either way. Anyway Three cancelled SIM when my PAC was successful and so I removed the SIM from my phone. I then noticed that I couldn't make the calls so popped into my local EE store and after waiting ages finally spoke to someone and their suggestion was either to try a SIM swap or it's a fault with the phone. Got home and out of interest I tried swapping what SIM slot my EE SIM was using and lo and behold, as soon as I moved into to the other slot I could make calls. Anyone know why the other slot would stop me being able to make calls?
Were calls over both sim slots going over 4G?

Soldato
What is the best Redmi model of phone to get for £150? I used to have a Redmi 3S but I'm thinking there may be a successor available now? It needs to be same size as the Redmi 3S ideally too I don't like phones with 5.5" screens!

Associate
The 6000 plus is looking good. But they're upgrading the pro to nougat next week, so I'll keep it a while longer.
Maybe wait and see what the new k10000's are like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anybody know what best place in UK to fix xiaomi phones ? mine needs screen replacement :(

Probably easier to just buy a new phone in all honesty.

What is the best Redmi model of phone to get for £150? I used to have a Redmi 3S but I'm thinking there may be a successor available now? It needs to be same size as the Redmi 3S ideally too I don't like phones with 5.5" screens!

Redmi 4/4S/4 Prime depending on how fast a CPU you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Redmi 4/4S/4 Prime depending on how fast a CPU you need.

Thanks for that.

The 4X and 4 Prime look interesting. I see the 4 Prime is a better specced phone in terms of CPU and screen resolution but how wouild this impact the battery life? I loved how long the battery on the Redmi 3S lasted and not sure if the 1080P screen and better CPU/GPU on the 4 Prime will eat into the battery more compared to the 720P/lower spec on the 4X?

Soldato
Has anyone bought the 4X yet?

I ordered my two global Note 4s from Honorbuy EU warehouse and Dreami store on Aliexpress (Chinese). Both went smoothly with fairly accurate tracking and no duty.

Standard delivery from China took exactly 2 weeks from placing the order.

Did you tell the seller to mark the parcel a certain way?

I'm thinking of buying a 4x from dreami but worried about import duty.

I've just ordered a 4X from Dreami. £90 shipped. Lets see how long it takes to get here.

I'd been looking at the Note 4 a few months ago but the 5.5 inch was just too big for me. The 4X looks like all the quality casework of the Note 4 but in a 5 inch form factor.

I was going to buy the black version but I learnt that the buttons are not back lit so went for the white instead.

Soldato
Been looking at the Redmi 4 Prime and the Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon version) which both seem to be around £170 from UK sites for the 3GB RAM models (Don't want to order from China as I don't have a phone at the minute). These worth a punt at these prices or are there any alternatives around this price worth a look at?

maj

maj

Soldato
New problem with my phone and before I could receive calls but not make any, now I can make calls but no receive any. Tried turning voLTE off as a test but it's made zero difference. Someone in the same room can't even ring me as it goes straight to voicemail.

Soldato
Check voicemail settings (the shortcode system if you want to do it manually) and potentially disable Forward if busy/engaged or if worried, disable forwarding completely (this will disable forwarding calls to your voicemail for the record). Assuming this doesn't fix it and you have decent 2G or 3G coverage, call your network and ask for diagnosis as the issue will be network side.

maj

maj

Soldato
Check voicemail settings (the shortcode system if you want to do it manually) and potentially disable Forward if busy/engaged or if worried, disable forwarding completely (this will disable forwarding calls to your voicemail for the record). Assuming this doesn't fix it and you have decent 2G or 3G coverage, call your network and ask for diagnosis as the issue will be network side.

Will take a look thanks. Tempted to flash the ROM again as it's been really slow and unresponsive recently. Using up loads of RAM even when I don't have any apps open.

Associate
New problem with my phone and before I could receive calls but not make any, now I can make calls but no receive any. Tried turning voLTE off as a test but it's made zero difference. Someone in the same room can't even ring me as it goes straight to voicemail.
Is it the same when in 3G or 2G mode?

The Xiaomi mi6 should be official announced today. Rumored to have 3 versions, mi6, mi6 pro and mi6 plus.

Here are the rumored prices, very cheap considering the specs, but this is before all the import taxes and everything.

Approx GBP by Dollar to Pound from Google.

Xiaomi Mi6

4GB RAM + 64GB Internal storage 2,199 Yuan ($318) ~ £256
4GB RAM + 128GB storage = 2,599 Yuan ($376) ~ £303

Mi 6 Plus

6GB RAM + 64GB storage = 2,599 Yuan ($390) ~ £314
6GB RAM + 128GB storage = 3,099 Yuan ($448) ~ £361
6GB RAM + 256GB storage = 3,699 Yuan ($535) ~ £431

This Phone has been on my Radar for a good while, i'd go for the Mi6 plus 64GB as long as i can get it from a decent supplier.

Don't think anything has been revealed about the network bands, so it may not support some UK frequencies. But Xiaomi did do a global version of the mi5 and the mi note 2, so hopefully this will have a global version also.

Have been a whole load of rumours about sporting a 30MP dual camera or a retina scanner rather than fingerprint, so would be nice to get some concrete info.
Doesn't support B20 LTE, there's no 4GB RAM or 256GB storage versions. It's a dual 12MP camera.

Back
Top Bottom