**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Caporegime
Bellboy I know you say you are undecided but from your research, what is the best option just now?
I'm also battery life/camera orientated.
Currently have a redmi note pro 3. Terrible camera, strong battery. It's acquired a screen burn, glue yellowed? Which is unsightly.
Help :p anyone

Soldato
Ok. Been following this for sometime now. So a question I would like to pose to you all. Or two or three:

How do you feel about not having NFC?
Is Wifi AC important to you, or are you happy with 802.11n, so long as it can use 5GHz?
What would you say is more important: battery life or camera?
What is the ideal screen size? (As in full bezel-less display)

The reason I ask these is because I am researching like a mofo on what phone to get next. I have an LG G4 and have had it for nearly 2 and a half years. But I just feel I want something different now. It has NFC and 802.11ac. But if I can get away with a really good battery and good enough camera and FHD display, then all good. I'm still leaning towards the Lenovo P2 as it does seem like the ideal phone. But I'm happy to listen to suggestions/recommendations. I've been on GSMArena, Aliexpress and Kimovil to get a good idea on what I would like.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a Xiaomi Mi Note 2 which was released around this time last year, although I picked mine up reduced last spring after the Mi6 was released. This was a flagship phone so was more expensive than the things like the Redmi Note 4 which have been spoken about in the thread a lot recently (which I also have as a backup phone).

- NFC ... my phone does have NFC but I don't use Android Pay etc so it only get's used rarely to monitor the value of my travel card when I'm on holiday. I class it as a nice to have rather than a must have.
- Wifi AC ... again my phone specs indicate I have this but for my usage N would probably just be fine.
- Battery life vs camera is a good question ... I don't take many photos but when I do take one I want it to at least be usable. Chinese phones <£250 tend to have average to poor cameras and these can be further crippled by poor software (I'm looking at you Umi). I've taken some nice pictures with my phone and its fine for my needs. Battery ... as long as it lasts through the day with my usage I'm usually happy although I was very impressed with the battery on the Note 4.
- Personally I want a minimum of a 5.5" 1080p screen. My phone has a 5.7" screen which is nice and I'd be happy to go up to 6.44" (if they'd done a version of the Mi Max (2) with B20 then I'd have been tempted to pick one up).

I would say that if you pay <£250 (and quite often if you pay more) then expect that you will need to compromise on something, in particular normally the camera. Don't expect great software support either, particularly from the smaller brands (*cough* Umi). Don't believe publicity pictures when it comes to bezels and thicknesses and remember that quite a few Youtube reviewers get things for their reviews so take them with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
Yes I've seen the 5 is released soon,I've got a oukitel k6000 at the moment and only paid £80 for it over a year ago,I wanted the redmi note 4 but was not willing to pay over £100 as I've spent far to much on tip of the range phones in the past,I've really enjoyed owing my current phone and can't wait for the redmi note 4 now.

Associate
Bellboy I know you say you are undecided but from your research, what is the best option just now?
I'm also battery life/camera orientated.
Currently have a redmi note pro 3. Terrible camera, strong battery. It's acquired a screen burn, glue yellowed? Which is unsightly.
Help :p anyone

If I knew that then I wouldn't be undecided! :p

I'd also note that I want a smaller screen myself, would prefer 5.5" and below. Not that I have tiny hands or anything, just prefer a smaller form for a phone.

I really wouldn't say there is a standout at all to be honest. It really does feel like you pay what you get for, there isn't one that particularly jumps ahead in quality vs price, at least when the camera is the priority. I was originally tempted by the Xiaomi Mi A1 as it ticks most of the boxes (and is what drew me to this thread), but the more I read about the camera the less I'm sure on that (still tempted though given it's cheap). The Moto G5 plus, as far as I read various reviews, supposedly has a better camera if you want budget, but otherwise is generally worse quality than the Mi A1, at a similar price (the G5s plus is a more comparable phone but with a worse camera, annoyingly). The HTC Desire 10 Pro is an intriguing one I need to read a bit more about when I have a chance - supposedly has a flagship camera on it, and on the surface looks decent otherwise, and can be imported for <£170 (risk of import costs mind!). I've looked at quite a few others in this price bracket as well (samsung A5, Huawei P10 lite, etc) but as memyselfandi says, the camera is often a big compromise along, and there's usually something else a little offputting as well. The Mi A1 feels like the pick of the budget bunch to me so far, but not without its flaws.

Tempted as well by the Xiaomi Mi5s or the Mi6 at a higher cost, but then I don't think they're really intended for a UK audience and anyway, if you start getting into a £250-£350 price bracket I don't know whether it's better going for a flagship from 2016, eg. a SGS7 (usually £400ish but if you can catch a good deal you may get it for £350ish), which would tick all the boxes, and can avoid importing then. But then if I start getting to that sort of price I start regretting not getting the SGS8 for £400ish last month, when Samsung ran a good cashback opportunity if you traded in your old Samsung! Again looked at others around this price like the LG G6 or the V20, the OnePlus5, but none quite seem to tick all the boxes.

So still very much unsure, and need to do some more research. Ideally I'd wait until a good deal comes along but my SGS5 does feel like it's deteriorating so may not be able to wait too long. If there was any reassurance over the quality of the Mi A1 camera, or an update which improved it, I'd still be tempted by that, but that is the one issue there that's stopping me pulling the trigger on it.

Associate
Yeah saw that deal, thanks, but read up on the OnePlus 5 and there are a few too many concerns about the company and the phone floating around! Plus yeah, that's the other point, at £150-£200 I'd be willing to take a chance on an import, when you starting hitting £300 it feels a bit riskier (hence not being sure about the Mi5s or Mi6). It is another tempter though as there are plenty of positive stories about the OnePlus 5 as well.

Underboss
Just make sure the case is for RedMi Note 4X and you will be fine.

my one i ordered never arrived, so got my money back

any help on this for a seller that will ship from the UK?

found one or two, but both say 4 November - 14 November because although they say they are in the UK, they are shipped from China !

RedMi Note 4X case like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Re...875735?hash=item3f835d6557:g:rqsAAOSwQVZZgN3r

oh and its defiantly faster than my moto x !
so im happy

Associate
I can't remember the last time I used NFC and the WiFi on every Xiaomi phone has been brilliant, same as all the radios built-in, it's annoying that you can't use wireless payments but it's something I would not use a phone for as I don't trust things like that.

The wifi in My RedMi Note 4 is actually better than My brothers Iphone 7. RedMi Note 3 and iphone7 are equal.

Associate
Associate
my one i ordered never arrived, so got my money back

any help on this for a seller that will ship from the UK?

found one or two, but both say 4 November - 14 November because although they say they are in the UK, they are shipped from China !

RedMi Note 4X case like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xiaomi-Re...875735?hash=item3f835d6557:g:rqsAAOSwQVZZgN3r

oh and its defiantly faster than my moto x !
so im happy

I have bought so many useless cases over the years that I simply dont buy from any unknown brands any more. In the long run it is better and more cheap to buy something that last.

Griffin Survivor for My iPad is amazing.

Soldato
Lol I know it's mad, Xiaomi have always been good at hardware, the first 2 phones I ever bought are still going strong with the mates at work who I sold them to and the batteries are still pretty good.

Underboss
i looked at that one, when i went to order it it said november

I have bought so many useless cases over the years that I simply dont buy from any unknown brands any more. In the long run it is better and more cheap to buy something that last.

Griffin Survivor for My iPad is amazing.

link me to a decent case please thats not a flip ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yeah saw that deal, thanks, but read up on the OnePlus 5 and there are a few too many concerns about the company and the phone floating around! Plus yeah, that's the other point, at £150-£200 I'd be willing to take a chance on an import, when you starting hitting £300 it feels a bit riskier (hence not being sure about the Mi5s or Mi6). It is another tempter though as there are plenty of positive stories about the OnePlus 5 as well.

Mi6 is great from what I know but small screen.

Unless you dont really need a phone right now I would wait for RedMi Note 5. It will likely lunch within a month.

RedMi Note 4 SD Global is great but Note5 will highly likely improve the camera and probably higher screen to body ratio as well.

link me to a decent case please thats not a flip ?

I dont know. I use my Note 4 without case but I wouldn't buy a case without good reviews after some time. Most cases are great when you get them. What about 6 months or a year later?

Most cases I have bought have been useless just arter a few months.

I have had a few MOFI cases from Aliexpress and they have always been decent quality and last well.

Shiwarrior...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom