Chipset change = format ???

Permabanned
hi all,

i have a core 2 duo and am running an intel 945g + ICH7 chipset and am switching to a G965 + ICH8 will i have to format and put a clean install on or is it as simple as pluging everythong back in and installing the new drivers

Soldato
If your not running Raid0 (which wont survive a chipset change), then you should be able to make the change, but before you start stripping down the computer, you have to uninstall the hard disk driver, and force XP to use 'Standard IDE Disk Controller' instead.

Once you do that it will be a little slower, but it should boot up on the new motherboard. At which point you can then replace the driver with the new intel chipset driver and it will work great.

If you dont do that, it will boot about half way, and then bluescreen.

Permabanned
OP
Corasik said:
If your not running Raid0 (which wont survive a chipset change), then you should be able to make the change, but before you start stripping down the computer, you have to uninstall the hard disk driver, and force XP to use 'Standard IDE Disk Controller' instead.

Once you do that it will be a little slower, but it should boot up on the new motherboard. At which point you can then replace the driver with the new intel chipset driver and it will work great.

If you dont do that, it will boot about half way, and then bluescreen.
i am not running a raid setup but i have a sata drive so cant disable the driver or anything i think i will just plug it all in and have a go see if it works, worst comes to worst i will have to re-format

Soldato
If its the SATA ports in the Southbridge then you dont need the driver, as all 'intel' sata ports emulate go faster ATA ports, and can run just fine with the Standard IDE Driver.

If its a 3rd party addon chip, then your going to have to reformat. With most drivers XP records a hash code which identifies the hard disk controller, as part of its securty measures. It will blue screen during boot up.

Im running an i865 chipset motherboard, with SATA hard drives, and it works find (just slow) on the 'Standard IDE' driver.

Your better off trying to uninstall the driver and see if it works. Because I am positive it wont work just switching the motherboard.

Soldato
I've tried using the method of uninstalling the old motherboard drivers, switching motherboards and installing the new drivers - it works, but the entire system will be slow. It makes far more sense to just format and start clean; at least then you can't blame any problems on the old installation of Windows etc.

Soldato
Intel 8xx to 9xx = no need to format
intel 9xx to upto 945= no need to format
Nforce 2~4 to anything exept sis = no need to format
intel 9xx or 8xx series to nforce 2 or 4= no need to format
Ive tested all of this persoanlly and for those changes you dont need fresh windows install

I havent tested intell chipsets higehr as 945 as never owned one before but im pretty sure no probs there as intell to intell has never been a problem for me

Any other changes need clean insall or messing with registry (i know it can be done i once managed to get sis to intel chipset but forgot how and was a mess but at least got into desktop)

Last edited:
Soldato
snowdog said:
Nforce 2~4 to anything exept sis = no need to format

Mine was from nForce2 to a VIA chipset - didn't like that one at all. As I said, the system worked, but it was horribly slow. A format at least removes any possibly performance or stability issues altogether, and is completely worthwhile in that respect.

Soldato
for some ppl like me, format sucks, i h8 reinstalling, resetting, copying app data, docs, etc from one to another config, not worth the hassle, also i went from intel 875 to nforce 4 sli x32 intel edit to intel 945 on my current pc, and i cant see diff in performance form when i chanegd from my old 875 mobo
U just need to remove the old stuff and remove all drivers not used anymore.
Havent formatted since 6 years( just cloned old hdd to new all the time, started out with 9 gig grown to 250 gig my main drive) somewhere on all of this theres still windows 98 SE, also boots in just 40 seconds wich isnt bad for all the stuff i have installed

Last edited:
Associate
Personally I do clean install when changing mobo.

Been bitten a few times thinking it I had a driver\software problem then finding out it's my new hardware or vice versa thinking its a hardware but i'd actually not uninstalled some drivers.

Back
Top Bottom