Cholesterol levels

Soldato
I was invited to see a health advisor today after the result of a cholesterol blood test in August. Obviously not urgent since my results were 2 months ago, but my cholesterol is 5.2mmol/L. It's meant to be 5 maximum. So it means I'm going to have to change my diet a fair bit.

She gave me an info sheet on what not to eat or at least, to moderate. Most importantly, avoiding food with saturated fat. Meat pies, sausages, butter, cream, hard cheeses, cakes and biscuits, and foods with coconut or palm oil. Everything I like to eat! :(

She also measured my blood pressure which was 155. But it was 144 in June. I suspect that is due to overdoing my vaping, so I'll cut back on that and hopefully that should lower.

I think that the 5.2 is not too bad, but because of the higher blood pressure, it's a recipe for potential heart attack or stroke. I'm going back in 2 weeks to see any improvements I've made.

Do you think I should avoid my macaroni cheese and cottage pies which in both cases I usually make a big amount and eat over 2 or 3 days, and try and eat mostly chicken, mackerel, boiled potatoes, fish with no batter for the next two weeks and see how that goes?

Has anyone else here had to change their diet due to high cholesterol?

Soldato
I had high BP and cholesterol (though it was mostly good cholesterol so they did not care) I had salad, carrots and fruit fish and chicken for 6 months only BP changed and that went down with weight..

So for the 100% of people I tested it on diet makes no difference only weight loss helps

Edit obviously that's me and not necessarily the same for anyone else

Soldato
Do you think I should avoid my macaroni cheese and cottage pies which in both cases I usually make a big amount and eat over 2 or 3 days, and try and eat mostly chicken, mackerel, boiled potatoes, fish with no batter for the next two weeks and see how that goes?
Well yes. Obviously. You've just been given stone cold facts that demonstrate this :confused:

And not for "a few weeks" either. You need to make a lifestyle change. Wean yourself off lardy batter, butter, cheese, cream, fats. Grow to like other types of flavours. Grill some fish, enjoy the BBQ flavour or something.

You know what to do, yet it sounds like you just don't want to. Eat mac & cheese three times a week is clearly not good for you, you shouldn't have needed a doctor to tell you that.

Soldato
OP
Well yes. Obviously. You've just been given stone cold facts that demonstrate this :confused:

And not for "a few weeks" either. You need to make a lifestyle change. Wean yourself off lardy batter, butter, cheese, cream, fats. Grow to like other types of flavours. Grill some fish, enjoy the BBQ flavour or something.

You know what to do, yet it sounds like you just don't want to. Eat mac & cheese three times a week is clearly not good for you, you shouldn't have needed a doctor to tell you that.

Yes, you're correct and I didn't need to ask that question about mac n cheese. For clarity however, I make either of those about once a month, not every week.

No, I'm definitely up for changing my diet. I'm just going to have to rethink new meals to make instead of the usual things I cook, and just treat myself occasionally. I buy too many frozen things in batter or breadcrumbs like cod or kievs, and way too many oven chips.

I think staying away or seriously reducing red meat intake is something I should do, and there was a time I only ever did white meat. As you say, grilling fish would be good. Fish can be really expensive though. What fish would you recommend I buy that could get me a few meals without being too pricey?

The cake baking hobby I've developed will have to be cut back because of all the eggs, cream and butter.

Soldato
Isn't exercise still king for helping reduce blood pressure ?

I thought that for cholesterol, if you're not eating excess of wrong foods, its still largely hereditary on how much your body takes from food,
so dropping the intake excessively may have negligible impact, so personally worry less about very specific food types and more about regular aerobic exercise,
which manages weight too.

Soldato
OP
Isn't exercise still king for helping reduce blood pressure ?

I thought that for cholesterol, if you're not eating excess of wrong foods, its still largely hereditary on how much your body takes from food,
so dropping the intake excessively may have negligible impact, so personally worry less about very specific food types and more about regular aerobic exercise,
which manages weight too.

It's a very good point. Doctor asked me if I exercise and my reply was that I'm a drummer and gig one to three times every week. Whether that is really enough to qualify as exercise I don't know but can be a workout depending on the gig. I also walk a fair bit each day, though not dedicated walks. I think I'll have to ask in the sports forum for a recommended aerobic regime.

Soldato
Striving to drastically manipulate blood lips through diet is misguided as the nutritional science is a long way from truly understanding the complexities of this area. What it comes down to mainly is
1) losing weight
2) healthy behaviours, e.g. exercise and reducing stress
3) consuming a balance of fatty acids - definitely including a good source of omega 3s (3-4g EPA+DHA frequently)
4) moderating your carb intake (note this does not mean low-carb/keto) as increased carb seems to consistently increase triglycerides in metabolically unhealthy/obese adults (note that it doesn't in healthy adults though)

There's also various non-modifiable factors affecting your levels (genetic, ethnic, etc) but what you can modify in terms of things like smoking/not smoking, weight, inactivity, etc can have a big impact.

The goal is to get total cholesterol down but also whilst improving your LDL/HDL ratios. As you've been told, total cholesterol <5mmol/L is what's considered optimal, with LDL <3.0 and HDL >1 and triglycerides <1.7. Cholesterol is important for getting things done in your body, but as with most things if it gets out of whack, so does your health. A really basic way of looking at it is that HDL carries cholesterol away from cells and back to the liver to be recycled or excreted, and LDL carries cholesterol to the cells. If your ratios are messed up then you have a lot more cholesterol being delivered than taken away, and in the research there's a strong association between high LDL and cardiovascular disease (if you want an explanation for this, google 'the cholesterol hypothesis').

Saturated fat is fine as long as your fat intake isn't heavily skewed towards it. The 'problem' with it is largely because observational research lumps it in with trans-fats which definitely aren't good for health. So if your diet is heavy in SFAs consider replacing some of that with PUFAs. In practice this is easier to do if your diet is one conducive to health... that is, limiting refined starches, added sugars, highly processed foods and trans fats and focusing on whole plant/animal foods.

Soldato
OP
^ That's a brilliant detailed reply! Thanks.

I eat porridge almost everyday and I've read it's kind of a miracle food as it can reduce cholesterol by up to 23%. Maybe had I not been eating it my total mmol/L might be higher.

Soldato
Did the Dr's not talk about statins ? Diet, exercise and cutting smoking are where they start, but if that doesn't work you'll probably get prescribed them.

You sound similar to me. Cake & biscuits are the downfall, I try as much as possible to snack on fruit instead, but willpower can fail.

Soldato
^ That's a brilliant detailed reply! Thanks.

I eat porridge almost everyday and I've read it's kind of a miracle food as it can reduce cholesterol by up to 23%. Maybe had I not been eating it my total mmol/L might be higher.

Training to be a nutritionist.

There's no miracle/super-foods - some are just more nutrient-dense than others - and it's not about one particular food or even meal, but the diet as a whole. That said omega 3 fish oils (either from eating oily fish or through a high quality supplement like Nordic Oil) and a good dose of vitamin D3 (4000iu) do seem to benefit nearly everyone as Western diets and weather conditions lack both.

If you're overweight (or perhaps your BMI puts you in the healthy range, but your body composition isn't great, e.g. plenty of visceral fat but not much muscle mass) then the biggest difference to your levels will be addressing this through a calorie deficit then maintaining a healthy weight long-term... and of course being active, getting enough sleep and keeping stress low.

Soldato
I eat porridge almost everyday and I've read it's kind of a miracle food as it can reduce cholesterol by up to 23%.
I started eating porridge regularly 3x per week (need to rejuvinate that thread) maybe 10 years ago, for that reason, with no impact on cholesterol,
it didn't decrease anyway; the plant stenols (is it?) margarine($$$) which relatives eat fall into the same category I think.

I'm not sure what kind of home test kit you can get (but you really need to fast) ...now that would interest me, albeit the HRM for exercise is rarely used.

Soldato
No, I'm definitely up for changing my diet. I'm just going to have to rethink new meals to make instead of the usual things I cook, and just treat myself occasionally. I buy too many frozen things in batter or breadcrumbs like cod or kievs, and way too many oven chips.
I'm glad you're up for a change. Really at the end of the day you need to learn to cook. Get some Jamie Oliver books, maybe Jack Monroe (great for cheap, simple stuff from scratch).

As you say, grilling fish would be good. Fish can be really expensive though. What fish would you recommend I buy that could get me a few meals without being too pricey?
Fish is crazy expensive over here and it does my nut considering we're an island nation! We only ever really eat salmon, sea bass or mackerel. Fish counters tend to be pricey, but you can get cheap/good mackerel in M&S for example, and cheap salmon or sea bass in packets like the Saucy Fish Co from most supermarkets. We also have prawns but they're not actually that healthy (and bad for cholesterol actually).

Here's a couple of easy meals we do midweek. Not these exact recipes but near-enough from a quick Google;

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kedgeree
Ditch the expensive haddock and buy some aforementioned cheap mackerel. No cooking fish required. At the end of the day all you do is cook onions out with some spices, add the rice, cook, then you can flake in the fish and mix in peas and spring onions. Serve with a lemon wedge and boiled eggs on the side. So easy it hurts.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/fillets-of-sea-bass-on-provencal-lentils/
Struggled to find a recipe for this but it is the closest. Basically sweat some onion, celery, carrots, garlic... cook out a little tomato puree then a teaspoon of flour. Mix in puy lentils and (almost) cover in some instant chicken stock. Leave to cook out for 10mins, stir a bit. If using sea bass just fry it skin side down in oil and butter (meh, I don't actually do grilling fish regardless of what I said above :o ), or even better just wack a salmon fillet on top of the lentils, put the lid on and let it steam-cook for 12mins or so. Top with a spoonful of hollondaise and you've got a very moreish but healthy meal. Again, once you've done this twice it's the easiest recipe in the world.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes...-bass-with-crushed-chickpeas-and-carrots/5328
Again, a simplified version we do just involved cooking onions and fennel, adding a tablespoon of Pataks curry paste, then the chickpeas, (regular) sliced carrots, capers, and some stock. Let it boil cook for 15mins whilst you fry the sea bass. Easy. (EDIT: I just re-read the recipe, we don't do any of the chermoula, the curry paste replaces that). Serve the fish on top of your curried chickpeas and put a slice of lemon on the side.

I'd highly recommend cooking a roast chicken at the weekends. Shred all the leftovers and put in a tupperware in the fridge. Straight away you've got good, healthy protein to use however you need. E.g. chicken and mushroom risotto, chicken and fennel pasta, thai green curry with chicken etc. The list goes on.

Soldato
not sure about mixing curry paste with bass really ?, if it's good fish (OK most are farmed - QED) then, like mackerel, keep it simple; learning to cook fish without overcooking/shrinkage is a skill to maximise this expensive ingrediant.

kedgeree without smoked haddock too isn't cricket, ... mackerels not exactly subtle to combine iwth rice/boiled-eggs/peas.

Have never tried M&S mackerel but must be wrapped I guess , so I'd be sceptical on freshness ... in th backwater of Cambridge can't get good fresh fish, so my take is kippers, or tinned fish. ... the stall on the market might be an exception.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Scam and Paul. That's a lot of good information and recipes for me to read through. I don't think I've had much sea bass before so can't think what it tastes like but looking forward to it.

Today I had porridge for breakfast, and mackerel and cucumber sandwiches for lunch from a tin of mackerel in sunflower oil. I've been pressure washing and cleaning outside my house all day, only just finished so a late dinner is currently cooking. I'm having chicken drumsticks which I've skinned and coated with paprika, salt (50% reduced sodium), pepper, curry powder, flour, cayenne and a teaspoon of chicken seasoning, boiled carrots with lemon juice sprinkled over, and boiled potatoes. I've left the potato skin on as it's fat and cholesterol free and has good vitamins. I'd say that's a fairly healthy days food. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Training to be a nutritionist.

There's no miracle/super-foods - some are just more nutrient-dense than others - and it's not about one particular food or even meal, but the diet as a whole. That said omega 3 fish oils (either from eating oily fish or through a high quality supplement like Nordic Oil) and a good dose of vitamin D3 (4000iu) do seem to benefit nearly everyone as Western diets and weather conditions lack both.

If you're overweight (or perhaps your BMI puts you in the healthy range, but your body composition isn't great, e.g. plenty of visceral fat but not much muscle mass) then the biggest difference to your levels will be addressing this through a calorie deficit then maintaining a healthy weight long-term... and of course being active, getting enough sleep and keeping stress low.

Ah a nutritionist, very cool.

Well the health advisor was going to weigh me and take my height but she forgot to and I never got a BMI number. But I would say I'd be in the healthier range. I'm 60, 5' 10.5"/11", not sure, and 12 stone 3lb. I'm basically slim and never put on weight until I got past 50 as my metabolism was fast. I think I would have been described as an ectomorph. But now, all the cake and less healthy foods have given me a bit of paunch, or as you mentioned, visceral fat.

Interested in your thoughts on my lipids results.
The LDL is one higher than the good lipids.
https://i.postimg.cc/8zcSg7F2/20191004-173552.jpg

Soldato
OP
Did the Dr's not talk about statins ? Diet, exercise and cutting smoking are where they start, but if that doesn't work you'll probably get prescribed them.

You sound similar to me. Cake & biscuits are the downfall, I try as much as possible to snack on fruit instead, but willpower can fail.

No, statins are only prescribed if you have coronary heart disease or cardiovascular disease or if family is known to have a history of it. Though I should think the doctor probably would suggest it if my BP or cholesterol were to get any higher.

Hah yeah, the cakes! If you've seen any of my posts here, I bake and eat a lot of cakes and desserts, but need to really moderate that. I eat fruit but not as much as I should. I eat grapes and bananas quite a lot though which are apparently good for lowering cholesterol. I ought to eat oranges and apples a bit more.

Soldato
with respect to statin prescriptions I thought the UK was like France (I'm familiar with), where just on the basis of a high cholesterol level (&>50 in uk?) they signed you up,
I had decided to change my lifestyle instead, having to take them forever was a bit daunting. (you have to stop eating grapefruit too, if I remember right)
The statistic told the NHS to do this, but on an individual basis you can improve your odds .... it's a bit like this maybe meat isn't now so bad, where they have re-evaluated interpretation of statistics.

Back
Top Bottom