Choosing a TFT - Dell 2405FPW

Yao

Yao

Associate
I'm currently looking into buying a new monitor (TFT). Not being an enthusiast in this area I have little knowledge and experience on the market. I've read up a little on the various ones that seem to be quite popular and could do with some advice.

I'm primarily thinking of games, photo, and video editing. I've decided that the Dell 240 FPW will probably be the best choice, but I noticed on TFT Central that a Tom's Hardware review was not very favourable about its gaming abilities, i.e. lag. Dell seem to be producing a lot of good TFTs from what I can tell, but do others here agree that its not good for gaming?

Are there any equivelants from other brands that people would recommend? I'm hoping to spend between £500-1000.

Thanks,

Yao

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd also look at the eizo. Eizo's method of manufacture/design is much better, even when using the same core panel. Also Eizo's support is very good unlike Dell's. Oh and the Eizo offers so many options to choose from and is top dog for photo/film editing.

Man of Honour
there's a thread about the 2407FPW if you do a search :)

Regarding the 2405FPW to the OP, the issues with gaming on it are mostly that you need a pretty hefty GFX card to manage the full resolution at decent settings on modern games. The screen is not the fastest out there, and you could expect some texture blurring to be evident really. However, the sheer size of the thing makes it very nice for gaming, but it depends what games you want to play on it. The THG was not that generous about the 2405FPW, but there are many many users who love the screen :)

Soldato
I've been using my 2405FPW for about 8 months now, for basically the same as you, gaming, photoshop, DVD/videos etc.

It is with out a doubt the best monitor i've ever used, and probably the best £600 i've spent on my PC. As baddass said, you need a resonably high spec graphics card/system to run games at native res (1920x1200). I'm only running an X800XT and it is more than happy to run HL2/Doom3 etc at full res and high graphics quality with AA and AF on.

Yao

Yao

Associate
OP
I've got a Geforce 6800 Ultra. I presume that should be good enough or am I already sitting at the lower end of the gfx market?

The other TFTs I'm now considering at the Apple MAC screens. They look fantastic and I'm wondering if they're as good. Given so many people in the creative industry use Apple MACs these days would it be right to assume they are of high quality?

Yao

Yao

Yao

Associate
OP
Can someone comment on the Apple 23" TFTs? The look nice, but are they good TFTs?

I've now concluded that the only downside to all these TFTs are the input lag, which is only an issue to serious online gamers.

Yao

Yao

Associate
OP
Do you playing FPS games online? I'd be interested in knowing if you experience any input lag at all. Its not a big issue for me as I don't play them that much anymore, but it'd be a shame to stop enjoying games for the reason that I can't aim.

Also, SunnyD is disgusting sugarfree or not. :D

Associate
Yao, I'm in the same boat as you I,ve spent the last couple of days reading various reviews on the 2405 from all over the net.
Most are possitive, but then one come's along that makes you think "Aw Crap".
Please buy one so you can tell me once and for all :) ;)

Associate
dell3.jpg

Thats my current setup, running as a secondary monitor to my laptop until i get my new pc in 2 weeks time. Must say, video on this is absoluteley ace.

Soldato
Nixeh said:
dell3.jpg

Thats my current setup, running as a secondary monitor to my laptop until i get my new pc in 2 weeks time. Must say, video on this is absoluteley ace.

I hope you had a nice trip to the US over the weekend to record that new epp of Battlestar ;)

Back
Top Bottom