Choppy/Sluggish FPS

Associate
Hi guys.

So I've recently upgraded my PC to a 4090, 7800x3D, 32gb RAM etc, proper high end rig. Installed on fast m.2 drive.

I get really good FPS but the games I have tested still don't feel smooth at all, I don't get stutters but everything feels choppy and it's like I'm dragging my mouse through mud, almost as if I'm playing at 30fps rather than 100 plus like it's saying. I've tried different mouse polling rates as well. I also feel every frame drop, so if it goes from 140 down to 120 I'll feel it happen.

I've messed around with GSYNC and Vsync but not much helps.

I have a Dell 1440p 144hz monitor with GSYNC.

Feel really disheartened as I've spent all this money and not getting the smooth gameplay I want.

Games I go on mainly are Escape From Tarkov and DayZ.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

So I've since done a fresh install of Windows, updated the bios and done DDU on the drivers again. Still the problem persists.

Capping frames doesn't work either as well as all combinations of GSYNC and VSYNC.

So frustrated, I don't know what to try next.

Have you tried some other games? Both DayZ and Escape From Tarkov are known for being badly optimized, if you haven’t already I’d definitely try out a few other games to rule out it being a game-related issue.
They are but I see a lot of people playing them without an issue with worse parts so if I'm spending all this money I expect to see somewhat smooth gameplay. Pulling my hair out.

Have you resolved your boot issue? For the purposes of solving this issue I recommend that you have a ssd that uses boot files for the windows install you installed. Can you remove the old m2 and test?
I've fixed it in terms of now the bios is picking up the drive I want. It still seems to take an age to boot in to Windows though for some reason compared to my old system.

Reactions: sg0
Is that because of the DDR5 memory training? Have you had a look at the event viewer? Is the windows spinning wheel the long bit?
Memory training? Is there a specific thing I need to tune for DDR5 or something? It takes a while to get to the windows spinning bit tbf and then it does through two TUF splash screens.

Your
I wouldn't worry about it. Perhaps there are some settings in the bios that can be stream lined. A good overclocking guide for your motherboard is a good source for bios features etc as well as your manual.

If you get no luck from other advice then I would start from scratch again but this time let window's finish its updates. It should install a driver package automatically. Then Install the games you play and test.

I think you have to do things incrementally to try to isolate the issue.

Try this as last resort. There are so many factors at play here unfortunately hardware, software and settings etc.

Good luck.
Since I downloaded that driver you told me to it has been significantly smoother so thank you!

Back
Top Bottom