Choppy/Sluggish FPS

Associate
Hi guys.

So I've recently upgraded my PC to a 4090, 7800x3D, 32gb RAM etc, proper high end rig. Installed on fast m.2 drive.

I get really good FPS but the games I have tested still don't feel smooth at all, I don't get stutters but everything feels choppy and it's like I'm dragging my mouse through mud, almost as if I'm playing at 30fps rather than 100 plus like it's saying. I've tried different mouse polling rates as well. I also feel every frame drop, so if it goes from 140 down to 120 I'll feel it happen.

I've messed around with GSYNC and Vsync but not much helps.

I have a Dell 1440p 144hz monitor with GSYNC.

Feel really disheartened as I've spent all this money and not getting the smooth gameplay I want.

Games I go on mainly are Escape From Tarkov and DayZ.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

sg0

sg0

Associate
Perhaps your new software installations are running background tasks ie windows update downloads and general file stuff that runs with a new install. It should settle down after a few days.

Associate
It is but I also installed my old m.2 drive which had Windows on. I've since formatted it but still shows in the bios as the main boot drive for some weird reason. Check my profile, I created a thread about it.
If the machine is otherwise well behaved I'd recommend a clean install of graphics drivers using DDU.

Associate
FPS is just a measure of the rate the GPU is processing screen images. It does not let you know if the data used to create those images is being generated quickly enough to ensure that the combined images create the smooth illusion that you seek. The CPU and data transfer rate are an important part of how the GPU is fed with the data it needs. That is why with a low performance CPU even the most powerful GPU won't be able to deliver the gaming experience it is capable of. Your CPU is powerful enough, but is your system allowing it to deliver that performance? The first thing to do is run something like HWInfo and log clocks and temperatures. If the thermal solution isn't performing then you might be getting clock throttling.

Associate
OP
So I've since done a fresh install of Windows, updated the bios and done DDU on the drivers again. Still the problem persists.

Capping frames doesn't work either as well as all combinations of GSYNC and VSYNC.

So frustrated, I don't know what to try next.

Associate
Have you tried some other games? Both DayZ and Escape From Tarkov are known for being badly optimized, if you haven’t already I’d definitely try out a few other games to rule out it being a game-related issue.

Associate
OP
Have you tried some other games? Both DayZ and Escape From Tarkov are known for being badly optimized, if you haven’t already I’d definitely try out a few other games to rule out it being a game-related issue.
They are but I see a lot of people playing them without an issue with worse parts so if I'm spending all this money I expect to see somewhat smooth gameplay. Pulling my hair out.

Associate
They are but I see a lot of people playing them without an issue with worse parts so if I'm spending all this money I expect to see somewhat smooth gameplay. Pulling my hair out.
Yeah, I didn't mean to ignore the issue with those games, I just meant to help with debugging the issue it would be good to know if it's present in all games or just those ones.

Last edited:

sg0

sg0

Associate
It is but I also installed my old m.2 drive which had Windows on. I've since formatted it but still shows in the bios as the main boot drive for some weird reason. Check my profile, I created a thread about it.

Have you resolved your boot issue? For the purposes of solving this issue I recommend that you have a ssd that uses boot files for the windows install you installed. Can you remove the old m2 and test?

Associate
What nVidia driver are you using?
There have been major issues with them recently breaking G-Sync, V-Sync and more causing stuttering.
I use version 537.58 which is the last stable version for me that works.

Associate
OP
Have you resolved your boot issue? For the purposes of solving this issue I recommend that you have a ssd that uses boot files for the windows install you installed. Can you remove the old m2 and test?
I've fixed it in terms of now the bios is picking up the drive I want. It still seems to take an age to boot in to Windows though for some reason compared to my old system.

Reactions: sg0

sg0

sg0

Associate
I've fixed it in terms of now the bios is picking up the drive I want. It still seems to take an age to boot in to Windows though for some reason compared to my old system.
Is that because of the DDR5 memory training? Have you had a look at the event viewer? Is the windows spinning wheel the long bit?

Back
Top Bottom