Chrome and Game Pass are killing me here

Associate
Ok, so you may have seen some other threads about my dying Windows installation - I resolved that by buying a new Ryzen 3600 system and a fresh install on a new SSD.

I now have 2 new problems - one very much related to that operation, one not. Probably.

1/ Chrome opens on startup. Originally I disabled it from the startup options in the task manager but that didn't fix it - and now it doesn't even appear in the services in task manager (and that's after uninstalling and redownloading). I've read some stuff about options to disable in the Chrome settings, which I've done (don't have Chrome working in the background when it's closed is one), but that hasn't worked either. What is curious is that on the laptop I'm writing this post on now, I haven't ever had to change any settings - it just works. Any ideas how to remedy it? Is there some secret files to remove that the uninstall routine doesn't flush out?

2/ The bigger issue is that my Game Pass installs where on a 2TB games drive (not my boot drive). Getting a new SSD and Windows install has meant that not only can I not access the previously downloaded games, but I can't remove the WindowsApps folder that is left behind. I've spent hours looking at various guides that talk about adding permissions to user accounts etc but none of them have worked. I've also tried running command prompt in safe mode to delete it, but still my access is denied. It doesn't seem to matter which user account I give access to, it always tells me it can't delete without access from a *different* user account. It's really doing my head in.

At the moment I can't see an option other than having to torch the whole drive, but it has all my games (Steam, Origin, GOG etc) on there too, which is a lot of data and I don't know how many have cloud saves.

Does anybody have any unorthadox suggestions that don't involve changing the security permissions (or UAC settings)?

Soldato
Regarding Chrome opening automatically are you closing it down before you shut the laptop down, I noticed with fast startup enabled it would start opening programs up when I turned on. Disable fast startup if you haven't already and see if that stops it.

Back
Top Bottom