Chrome downloaded a file when typing in faulting path?

Associate
Hi guys, I was checking reliability history and saw there was a faulting application. I copied the description of the faulting application path into Google Chrome and it downloaded the file to my downloads folder. Why did it do that? I was hoping by typing that in the URL Google would search for other users having the same faulting path.

Can I delete the file it's downloaded to the download folder? I checked the path below and AsusSystemAnalysis.exe is still there, did Chrome just download a duplicate file for me or something?

Sorry, I'm not very good when it comes to tech. Thanks!

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\asussci2.inf_amd64_7a3a8aa248377da4\ASUSSystemAnalysis\AsusSystemAnalysis.exe

Last edited:
You’ve pointed the browser directly at a file address. when you pasted the path into the url bar, chrome will automatically figure its a local address and go it, and try open the file. It’ll then see a .exe file, and rather than run it, it’ll likely download it. No different from putting:

http://www.some_random_website.kom/dir/AssusCrapProgram.exe

where it would try and download as well.

When searching google for similar on google, you are far better just searching for something like

“garbageprogram.exe faulting windows 11“

You’ve pointed the browser directly at a file address. when you pasted the path into the url bar, chrome will automatically figure its a local address and go it, and try open the file. It’ll then see a .exe file, and rather than run it, it’ll likely download it. No different from putting:

http://www.some_random_website.kom/dir/AssusCrapProgram.exe

where it would try and download as well.

When searching google for similar on google, you are far better just searching for something like

“garbageprogram.exe faulting windows 11“
Thank you very much for explaining. Have I caused any problems by downloading the file? It seems to be a duplicate of the file with the original still in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom