Chrome Rendering Gobbledygook Text

Soldato
symbolsr.png

Since making the switch to Chrome a few months back, i've noticed on a few sites Chrome produces garbled text (as you can see from the above screenshot). The sites render perfectly fine under Firefox and IE, and i can even copy and paste the garbled text it into Notepad/Word and it'll display fine.

Have attempted to Google this a few times but i've never managed to find a solution or the actual cause.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Associate
Chrome does auto-translating of text into other languages right?

If I recall, it looks like this when it can't display the font, and as you said it c&p's perfectly so underneath it's still the original text.

Can it be that you have a Chinese keyboard installed or some setting that is making Chrome trying to "translate" sites into another alphabet that you don't have installed? Cyrillic/Chinese/Korean etc ?

Soldato
OP
Bledd - This is the site from the screenshot http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/wordpress-404-pages-essential-tips-and-tools/ and section of Twitter UI does it as well (as show below) -

twitterhp.png

Have also tried the Windows-1252 encoding 'fix' as listed on the Google help pages but that too didn't work.

insejn - I use a US keyboard but switching between UK and US English doesn't make any difference. Nor does switching Translate off under Chrome.
But i think you're right in that it is the rendering of the used web-fonts.

Associate
insejn - I use a US keyboard but switching between UK and US English doesn't make any difference. Nor does switching Translate off under Chrome.
But i think you're right in that it is the rendering of the used web-fonts.

Hmh, okay, was a long shot anyway ^^

The font on that wordpress site looks like Calibri? Some weirdo Cleartype fonts issue specific to Chrome? :p

Soldato
OP
Looks like it was corrupt Helvetica fonts; removed them and all appears ok. Unfortunately i use them so will have to go through them all and see which one is corrupt.

Cheers all for the help though!

Back
Top Bottom