CIS Tax Return

Associate
Hello people!

I was self employed for around 8 months, mainly working as a labourer on construction sites. I'm hoping I can get some money back from the tax I paid. I've been browsing around different accountants online, but I'm unsure on who to use.

Can anyone recommend me a good, and preferably cheap accountant?

Many thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice. I've been having a look and a lot of accountants ask for a CIS statement, which I do not have. I just have purely bank statements to work from. Will this suffice for the self assessment? If this will, self assessment will definitely be the route I take!

Associate
OP
You keep referencing CIS - have you done everything on this page? http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/subcontractors/reg-obs.htm

Yes I've done everything on that page - I keep referencing it as I've never done a tax return before and want to get it right!

Do you not have invoices/payment certificates that show the CIS tax they have been deducting you?

I have no invoices or payment certificates unfortunately. The only proof I have is bank statement.

Whether I've had the wool pulled over my eyes and my tax been pocketed is another matter perhaps!

Associate
OP
Yep I'm registered under the CIS scheme and my boss/gang leader at the time had my UTR number and was paying 20% tax on my behalf.

I was given no deduction statements though ..

Just seen your edit - maybe obtaining these statements are my next port of call?

Associate
OP
Nope, only thing I got was a text when he transferred the funds over into my bank account!

But I guess it was the same setup - timber frames would be sent to the factory, and my boss (a subbie) would take us to site and we would erect the frames. I did this for around 6 months then was with agencies for another couple of months.

Fortunately I am no longer self employed and on PAYE! - and loving the benefits.

Thanks for the help.

Associate
OP
Things that complicate things (perhaps?) is during the tax year I have also been on PAYE of which I had a glorious return of about £25. I will be giving the number that Benji posted tomorrow to see the crack!

Back
Top Bottom