Cleaning Inside Computer

Soldato
I take them outside and then blow out the dust.

I use a mains powered airbed inflator as they're cheap. You can also buy dedicated computer air blowers. Canned air would work, but you'd need a lot.

Don't let the fans spin while you're doing it.

I wouldn't use a normal vacuum because of the potential static issues.

Soldato
If you’re comfortable, take it all apart and use compressed air.
I had a disgusting mess of a system, pulled it apart, cleaned it up and it’s good as new now.

min my case it needed a new case and new CPU cooler, but that was after years of neglect.
If it’s annual (six months if you’re being conscientious) maintenance then all you’ll really need to do is reapply thermal paste...

Soldato
I heard you have to keep the can upright else it can blow liquid into the PC ?
Yes, "compressed air" is actually liquid in the can and decompresses into a gas before spraying. So you don't shake the can, and you have to keep it upright, or else you spray the liquid out of the nozzle.

Personally I leave the PC plugged in (grounded) but switched off at the wall, and use a paintbrush and Hoover- carefully.

Permabanned
Use search and see how many time it has been asked and answered, buy a DataVac or the new alternatives.

metro-datavac-electric-duster-8.jpg

Metro-Data-Vac-Pro-Series.jpg

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/it-d...uster-and-vacuum-suck-and-blow-kb-004-id.html

Permabanned
It blows the dirt out the case and ideally you start of with relatively clean PC or one that was dirty but you took it apart and manually cleaned then make that your starting point from now on iut is not exactly rocket science.

I did the above after a period of neglect and now I blast it in situ 2-3 time per year and it stays clean (filtered).

You are never going to "hoover" all the dirt out even with the little tools inside a PC case all fitted out as it simply will not get in all the places.

Associate
OP
I don't clean mine anymore, something always seems to stop working after lol, if it's not broken don't fix it(clean it)

I'm guessing you used a compressed air can ? Problem with them it can leak liquid

ALso when doing the heatsink you are supposed to hold the blades still

Soldato
The ‘liquid’ evaporates in seconds. You’ll likely get a bit of condensation due to the temperature, but nothing that’s likely to do any damage.

You’re much more likely to damage something if you start poking about with a domestic vacuum.

Man of Honour
Done mine the other day, thick with dust from decorating so had to take everything out then once back together it wouldn't boot, then it crashed badly with what looked like a dead gpu. Swapped a spare gpu in, still dead. Took it all apart again more cleaning and now its fine. Moral of the story... leave it full of dust :D

I used a selection of different brushes to clean mine. :)

Soldato
I just use one of these electric air pumps for air beds, which seems to do the trick. I do it outside I've never had any issues. Certainly beats paying ~£50 for a computer duster which appears to do a similar job, although probably a bit more powerful at 500w vs 150w.

Permabanned
Well 3x more power for just about 3x the price seem fair and everything has a intended purpose and the build quality on that is poor to say the least so I will stick with my DataVac as no doubt it will last me my lifetime thanks.

Associate
The best way for me to take outside and use an air-compressor. I know not everyone can do that.

If im doing smaller clean, sometimes I use a Giottos Rocket Air Blower with a hover. It never runs out, allows me to direct air into things like GPU fans and no risk of any water.

Back
Top Bottom