Cleaning Inside Of Windscreen?

Soldato
This is the time of year when you get that ghastly sticky haze adhering to the windscreen. Have tried various methods of removing it - soapy water, proprietary glass cleaner but nothing seems to shift it completely and often just leaves opaque streaks which, particularly when the sun head on, can affect visibility.

So can OCUK petrolheads spec me something that will get the job done and leave a nice, sparkling clear interior glass finish?

Caporegime
Brand new microfibre cloth, the smallest possible squirt of almost anything wet (I've used Fast Glass, windolene, water, etc), you want the cloth to be imperceptibly between dry and damp. Buff (not wipe) the windscreen.

I agree though, the hazy effect on "cleaned" windscreens are utterly annoying.

Soldato
I can't say I've ever noticed a sticky haze on the inside of the window, are you vaping in the car or something?

Caporegime
I don't smoke or vape. I'm not sure "sticky" is the right word, just a greyish haze that accumilates over time. Cleaned with the wrong products/method this turns into a sun-ray defracting mess.

Soldato
APC and a magic eraser, followed by a normal glass cleaner with a microfibre. Only thing that worked on my old car which had been vaped in. Tried everything else!

@paradigm , what do you use to protect your dash? Some cleaning products/dash wipes/protectants will flash off in the heat and leave a film of sorts on the windscreen.

Caporegime
If you smoke or vape in the car you will get this. The answer is to stop smoking or vaping in the car

Whilst they don't help the main cause is actually interior plastics. Over time they 'gas off' which is why they fade and become more brittle. This is what you're seeing accumulate on the windows.

2 cloths. First to clean. Second to buff.

Associate
Fast Glass put it on with kitchen paper then use microfiber cloth to wipe off, Or White Vinegar if something is on the windscreen that Fast Glass wont remove.

Soldato
Vinegar and newspaper, then you can try regular window stuff.

My work van has the same problem from brand new and nothing has shifted it properly, I wondered if the aircon had something to do with it as it's worse below the screen vents.

Soldato
I use Isopropyl alcohol and kitchen roll.

The main thing to get a streak free finish is not to let it dry, but to buff it off if you know what I mean. Its tempting to do the whole windscreen with the wet alcohol kitchen roll before moving to the dry kitchen roll, but most of it has evaporated by then, and it will look nasty, best to work in smaller sections.

Soldato
OP
Definitely no smoking or vaping - value our health too much.

I have read the theory about plastic residue elsewhere, could be something in that - also aircon as my old Corsa suffered from the same problem, you do tend to be constantly running it this time of year and in winter to dry the warm air.

Anyhow I'll grab something like Fastglass and a decent microfibre cloth and have a go with that. also good point about working a small section at a time. in this heat, normal glass cleaner is evaporating almost as soon as it hits the screen.

Thanks for all the responses.

Soldato
I use something like Windolene to get rid of any greasy type residue and then go over it with Invisible Glass to completely rid the glass of any smears.

Back
Top Bottom