Clear coolant turned blue?

Soldato
So I finished leak testing my loop with distilled water, and today put in my coolant. It's Alphacool CKC clear, which I had two 1L bottles of. My loop holds ~1.1 litres and I wasn't able to get all the liquid out anyway when draining, so I figured I would leave a little of the distilled water in as it couldn't hurt to dilute the CKC with a little distilled water right? I think I was wrong! After a couple of hours I noticed my reservoir has a bluish tinge, so this happened pretty fast. I've seen speculation that it's the anti-corrosives in the coolant reacting to water that has become acidic. Apparently distilled water can do this?

The distilled water was in the loop for a week, and the loop was left mostly empty for a week, before filling this weekend. I only really have free time to work on this at weekends.

Prior to this all the parts were new - Alphacool copper rads, Alphacool VPP755 pump, Alphacool blocks. The radiators were flushed with hot water, then diluted vinegar solution, then a few rounds of distilled water (circulated first and then replaced with fresh).

What do you lot think? I'll likely leave it as it doesn't look bad and should just be a side effect of the anti-corrosive, but it'd be good to know what's up.

d1K5gLb.jpg

Soldato
OP
I had a radiator that I had flushed with distilled water, then due to circumstances the rad was left for about a week also, thankfully I decided to flush the rad one more time before use and it was full of blue-ish little pieces and the water came out the same colour as your experiencing now, so I used a heated white vinegar/distilled water combo to flush the rad again (took multiple times to clear), then a final rinse with distilled water again.

It seems it's a form of oxidisation of the copper in the rads, so I'm assuming that's what's happened to you?
So you reckon it's because it was left for a week empty but wet? Sounds possible.

Soldato
OP
That's what I concluded when it happened to me. When I first flushed the rad it was coming out clean so it's the only possible reason that I can think of? :)
Yeah quite believable, and that's good news because it means it shouldn't happen again! I guess I can test its not a reaction by mixing the last ~100ml of coolant with some distilled. I actually have the liquid I drained from the loop in a bottle, plus plenty more distilled to hand.

Soldato
OP
Hahaha I was thinking the former. Gutting as filling, and the PSU shroud were the final steps in a very long build. And I also got a mark on the shroud, didn't notice til it was installed. Next weekend I guess!

Soldato
OP
Huh. Let us know how the flush goes - how long will you leave the cleaning fluid in there before clearing it out & putting in actual coolant?
I'll probably just drain, fill with distilled, run for an hour, repeat. Maybe put a couple of litres through the system so long as it's running clear. Then refill immediately with coolant!

That is, assuming it's not a reaction in the coolant. Better do some testing.

Soldato
OP
It's possible but A) everything was brand new and B) there shouldn't be any aluminium at all in the loop. I'll see if the colour has changed when I get home, I left it running.

Soldato
OP
If you hadn't gone with clear, you may not have noticed.

Wonder how many others have this & are unaware - or if it's even a problem besides appearance.
From what I've read it's quite a predictable response for the anti-corrosive and isn't an issue for the loop. Ironically I considered opaque black tubing....

Soldato
OP
Well, I didn't take a photo bit the litmus paper basically showed that coolant is alkaline (or something weird due to the anti-corrosives...). Both test mixes with coolant came out pH 8, and the distilled water samples were both pH 7.

I wonder if neutralising the fluid will make the colour go away?

Soldato
OP
When I clean my rads with vinegar, the water turns faint blue like that. How did you prep/clean your rad?
Yep, I cleaned mine with hot water, then dilute vinegar which went blue ish, then a few flushes of water. But it ran clear then, and the loop was run for a week with distilled water and didn't turn blue. I'm stumped, need to email Alphacool :confused:

Back
Top Bottom