Cloud Vs. SaaS - is there a difference?

Soldato
I've been looking online and various sources say different things - so I thought I'd put it to you lot :)

Is is fair to describe a SaaS application, e.g. a vendor hosted CRM application - as a cloud solution? Or is this misuse of the term cloud?

Associate
Sure why not :p I think cloud is a very general term and SaaS is a more specific part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Yes I'd go along with this really.

Cloud to me is pooling of on or off premise computational resource to be leveraged dynamically.

SaaS leverages cloud infrastructure but for a static purpose, that is, for a specific application or service.

Associate
SaaS doesn't necessarily have to be on a cloud based platform. To be fair they usually are, but selling something as SaaS can be run off a shared virtual server if needed and you could scale in a more traditional model managing all your own load balancing etc.

So to the original question. If the CRM solution is hosted on some kind of cloud architecture then yeah.

Soldato
It's a category of cloud computing. Much the same as PaaS (Platform as a Service)

Not really. You can do SaaS without cloud. You can host a SaaS application on your own dedicated server in a colo rack, for instance.

It's also increasingly common to build SaaS products on top of cloud architectures, such as PaaS. Or just IaaS (which is basically just the cloud form of VPS).

Back
Top Bottom