Clunking noise on full-right lock.

Soldato
OP
How odd. I got in the car this morning and went down to Bluewater to one of the empty car parks. I did a few left and right turns on full lock and there was no noise whatsoever apart from the usual low squeal of the PAS at full travel. No clunks, no unsual feeling, no nothing.

Drove home, no problems whatsoever. So I jacked the front of the car, checked for play in the wheels, no problems. Took the wheels off and everything seems fine...the CV gaiters are in good condition, with no signs of leaking grease. Im no mechanic but everything else...tie rods, suspension arms and tracking rods...looked to be in good condition, no breaks or splits or anything fouling anything else. I started the engine and put it in first gear and while the hubs were turning, again tried lock to lock...no problems at all, no noise apart from as mentioned, the PAS doing it's job. There is a slight grating noise from the brakes but I suspect I have a slightly warped disc anyway, as it judders when braking from high speed.

I can only assume it might ahve been a one off and just keep an eye on it in the future. To be continued...

Soldato
I wouldn't necessarily expect to see broken gaiters leaking grease for a broken CV joint - it might well just be wearing inside it's gaiter.

When I had a dodgy CV joint, it was also intermittent at first - a slight problem could potentially be exaccerbated by hard acceleration (perhaps with lock on, out of a junction) and might appear to settle down afterwards - at least that's my experience.

Back
Top Bottom